Power outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rambo64

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 175 gallon reef tank with 16 assorted fish. How long can they last if there is a power outage. I live in the midwest and they are saying our power may be out for days and I am worried that my fish are going to die.

Thanks

yeah I know. We are working on that right now. My power has been out since 3pm yesterday. We are working on getting one installed soon once we find one. I just wanted to know if the tank will last 24-48 hours without anything running?

You can purchase several battery operated air pumps at low cost, which should at least keep the water flowing and oxygen dispersed. Most outdoor recreational (Acadamey, etc) retailers will sell these in there fishing areas under bait/catch containment aisles.

Anything I can do about the temp or will it be ok until we can get a generator up and running?

You can also stir the water, try to get some O2 exchange going, as a temporary solution.

+++EDIT+++
Make sure when you stir, try to get water from the lower part of the tank. I have never done this so that's about as far on the advice I can give you (I'm not sure how often you would need to do this). You might even be able to use a battery child's boat (make sure there is no metal), or some other water moving type of deal.

If you are in the Midwest, check out Pep Boys. 3500 watt generator can be had for a little over $300. It has a nice size gas tank and has worked great for me.

We live in Florida and went threw a few days without power, we starting putting money away immediately for a generator...now that we have it we haven't had to use it for 3 years! : ) But I bet if we hadn't bought it, the power would have gone down several times over: )!

someone had a good thread on here the other day on using computer battery backups, may be an idea???

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, good luck, I am sure everyone will make it!

Back
Top Bottom