power outage, now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mazilla

Aquarium Advice Regular
i left about three hours ago and the power was on, when i got home the power was out. there must have been an accident into a poll or something, but i know it's been a max of 3 hours without power. my question is now what? do i need to do a pwc or something? it sounds like a dumb question to me but i'd hate to not ask and f something up. thanks

It all depends on how long. If it`s 4 or 5 hrs or even more I`m thinking you`ll be OK. Being winter is here I would think you need to keep it warm by putting a blanket over it to keep temps from going down too fast. Hopefully it wont be much longer.

No real need to do a water change right now, if it stays out much longer though, I would do like melosu suggested and wrap the tank to try and conserve some heat. I think temperature would be your biggest worry right now.

I agree with the rest.....BTW, if there is a power outagge how are you on the internet?
Beside the point. I would prepare for next time, by buying a UPS, just run your phs off of it, a heater would suck up the juice way too quickly. With the pds going, you will at least get some O2 into the water. Depending on the tank, the room and location, it can take a while for the water to cool down enough to cause problems. Definitely think about wrapping the tank with towels or some other insulation, to keep the temp up as long as possible. Other option might include heating some water via a gas stove, butane/propane grill and add to the tank a little at a time...That might not be the best solution, but it could work in a sticky situation. Just remember, don't go dumping a bunch ot boiling water into your tank.

Small generators can be has for as little as $150 now a days. I got a 3500 watt generator for $300 last year. Only had to use it once but glad I had it.

A few hours should be ok though depending on your bioload. A high bioload can deplete your O2 levels fast.

Good luck.

everything seems back to normal, i couldnt find my wrasse(i can never find him when he hides) but he finally came out around 7pm, i imagine he was just napping or something? ;)

i'm gonna do a pwc today and re-check the levels. they were spot on on tuesday night, but better safe then sorry.

Mazilla
You might consider for the future buying a small generator. I too had a power outage last year and after stressing about my tank, I bought one. However I bought a used one. Its big enough to run my whole house though in the winter!! My house is about 2600 sq ft so its a big one! I paid $1000 for it and its a Honda. Been used 2 times. So if your patient you can find good deals. Now if I lose power all I do is fire the thing up and we back in busines!!! Glad to hear all is well now.

i'm pretty sure my dad has a generator that we have used like once, maybe i can "borrow" it from him on a forever basis. thanks for the tip, i was actually cursing the fact that i didnt have it.

Back
Top Bottom