Power outages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya id like to kno this one too.. does anyone use a battery back up for computers on there tank and if so wut brand and how well does it work

I haven't done this myself for a long period of time since I haven't been through a power outage yet but I have a 1000 watt power inverter that connects directly to my truck battery and I have ran an extension cord to it and have powered my tank from my truck and worked fine. I only powered the heater and return pump. this is what I will most likely do in the event of a power outage.

I'm sure that soem folks do use a battery back up or a generator. Many have battery powered air pumps just to get by. If you're keeping your tank in good shape and not overfeeding or overstocking, filtration shouldn't be an issue if you're talking just a couple of days. For longer periods, you can siphon water out and pour it pack in for circulation. If you have runnign water still, you can do water changes. Temperature however could be, and I have no advice for that. The only time any of my tanks have been without power for an extended period was due to hurricanes in the late spring or early fall, so that wasn't too much of an issue.

Thanx for the info I was planning on starting my first SW tank soon and I really don't wanna lose livestock and $ over a simple power outage... no sense in dropping so much money and time into something to let something like that set me back lol

Mrc8858 said:
Thanx for the info I was planning on starting my first SW tank soon and I really don't wanna lose livestock and $ over a simple power outage... no sense in dropping so much money and time into something to let something like that set me back lol

I advocate getting a generator.Adding up the money I have in corals alone, to me it was a no brainer to get a generator.Besides,without power you also have no heater working in your tank in addition to no filtration.Plus I am retired and don't want to be without watching TV.LOL
Think of all the disasters that have happened across the country this year.Gotta have power.

I agree generators are ideal (along with all the other benefits :) )...but this is what I used when the last hurricane rolled through. They're cheap and run off D-cell batteries. It worked great for me. I'd just advise stocking up on the D batteries early...cause when a storm is about to hit the stores sell out of them quickly (I guess for flashlights).
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Frabill-Portable-Aerator/16494427

Thanx for the tip ill def be grabbing one before anything gets put in my tank

eco23 said:
I agree generators are ideal (along with all the other benefits :) )...but this is what I used when the last hurricane rolled through. They're cheap and run off D-cell batteries. It worked great for me. I'd just advise stocking up on the D batteries early...cause when a storm is about to hit the stores sell out of them quickly (I guess for flashlights).
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Frabill-Portable-Aerator/16494427

What you going to do when the snow or ice storm comes this winter and your tanks temp starts dropping after you're power is gone a day or two.Where you are at you get more than we do here in Hampton Roads area.

Ricksreef said:
What you going to do when the snow or ice storm comes this winter and your tanks temp starts dropping after you're power is gone a day or two.Where you are at you get more than we do here in Hampton Roads area.

I've bought a generator since then and now...but obviously dropping a grand on one isn't an option for everyone. There's also converters you can use with a car battery (I think they're called UPS backups), but in a pinch, insulating the tank with blankets and keeping the surface agitated does the trick.

To be honest though, I'm a FW guy (I know we're in the SW section) so I don't know if your tanks have different requirements.

My uncle brought me a generator during the hurricane. Before he got there every hour i would stir the tank and blow into it with a staw or airline tubing just to get oxygen in the water.

Gregcoyote said:
If your car is parked nearby, a $50 inverter and an extension cord will keep your power heads running for a long time.

That's I've done a dozen times works great!

i bought a generator for those times when we lose power. it was a great investment since we were hit by a hurrican and our power was out for almost 3 days! best money i spent! saved all my food too. and still enough power to run 1 tv and 1 lamp.

Generators can be real life savers, just remember they have to be started once a month to be sure they will work when you need it too. Try not to store gas in them for too long either. All the other obvious warnings for their operation goes without saying. We use them for emergency response and we have found they are very prone to not starting when you need them the worst. Karma.

Back
Top Bottom