power outages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twilyte

Aquarium Advice Regular
When power goes out, and filters, etc etc cease to function.. What kills the fish and inverts? Is it because the filters etc etc aren't working or is it because of temperature fluctuation? I ask because I really didn't want my shrimp to die.. And well, he did. Florida seems to be gettng targetted by hricanes non stop and I don't know how much my little tank can bear. So what can I do short of getting a generator to up their chances of survival in case the power goes out for a long period of time again?

Oxygen depletion and temperature is a major contributer of fish deaths. I would get a battery powered air stone just incase of a power outage. I have a Pentax battery powered air stone that turns on automatically when it detects a power outage.

Temperature is a little harder to control without backup power.

For temp you could put either ice bags if it is by a window and overheating or just bags of hot water... most people still have cooking gas when the power is out... you will have to just be real careful and watch the temp...

I have a 400 watt power inverter which runs off the car battery. Thankfully haven't needed it yet. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom