Power supply question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris stevens

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I lose power to my tank for whatever reason, I have to carefully throttle the sump pump back up (using a valve) to allow for normal draining. If the pump just starts back up at full power, the drains can't keep up at first and the tank overflows. Not sure why this happens - is it some type of a siphon being created, when I do it slowly? I have three drains, two returns run by a Mag9.5 (4 ft head - powerful, I know, but the drains keep up just fine). Does anyone make a unit that will cut off power to my tank if the power goes out and comes back on? alternatively, can anyone suggest modifying (slightly!) my drain system so that it keeps up more easily? thanks - you'll see a picture of my drain system attached - 2x1" on the sides, and 1x3/4" in the middle.

Attachments

• monadnock_005_617.jpg
    monadnock_005_617.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 22
depending on how you have the plumbing, if you have a sudden rush of water, you might be trapping air pockets in elbows or other bends - this would severely limit the flow. By throttling it up, you allow the air time to displace from the piping. Not sure how to correct it or if thats even the cause without pictures or diagrams of the piping.

Back
Top Bottom