Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-23-2006, 12:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to ferretttt Send a message via Yahoo to ferretttt
Power went out for a long time! One fatality . . .

We had a power pole get hit by a truck down the block. Although the UPS helped out, it was down too long and we lost our Flame Angel. The fish started to crash and once it got too low in the tank, our two large hermit crabs got it.

At least it didnt go to waste?

Eric "FerretBoy" T
ferretttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:52 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Investing in a small generator might be in order or at the very least battery powered air pump so you can throw in an airline when need be.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:59 AM   #3

Yes, I agree. A generator, UPS, or DIY hooked to a car battery, however it is usually lack of O2 that leads to death. Fish can generally live with colder temps for a while but they need 02.

I have 2 simple battery operated backup air pumps that turn on auto. if power goes out and can save a lot of money and suffering.

IMO, all reefers need a backup to prepare for an emergency, no question especially during the winter.

Here is what I have. They run on D batterys. I tested them and they went for 4 days!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air_pumps_210.jpg (22.4 KB, 109 views)
Old 12-23-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree about the generator as the first thing I`m going to get with my tax return will be one. Just wondering what the temp got down to when the power was out.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sorry for your loss.

I bookmarked this great thread from Kurt_Nelson about power outages.

I lost all my fish to a 3-day power outage earlier this month and plan on getting at least some battery-operated air pumps for the next time. I think my fish were OK with the low temps (although it WAS pretty cold) but I believe all their O2 ran out.

Anyway, sorry again for your loss.
LandGhoti is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com