Powerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndiH011

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions on the positioning of my powerhead?
Should I have it on the same side as the return or the same side as the overflow?

Thanks in advance

Andi

I use two powerheads on all my tanks, one on either side glass. I nudged my return nozzle over a bit and it works pretty well. :)

carey said:
I use two powerheads on all my tanks, one on either side glass. I nudged my return nozzle over a bit and it works pretty well. :)

Thanks Carey,

I was concerned that if I have it pointing away from the overflow then the head would be forcing the water away from it hence the water not been recycled properly. I may be thinking too much into it…

I have mine on my tank pointing towards the front glass and upwards for surface agitation. I have one powerhead blowing near the return and it still circulates well, so dont' worry too much. As long as you have enough flow that there are no dead spots on the sand or rock you're good to go. :)

carey said:
I have mine on my tank pointing towards the front glass and upwards for surface agitation. I have one powerhead blowing near the return and it still circulates well, so dont' worry too much. As long as you have enough flow that there are no dead spots on the sand or rock you're good to go. :)

Cool, thanks. I've put it in tonight and it looks like a storm is raging in there. The tank had just cleared as well lol

I'll be playing with this too very soon. I have 2 Hydor evo 1050's coming in for my 55 reef. Right now I have too many dead spots due to a pump going out on me. Gonna be interesting trying to position them. Carey... any advice on a step by step to figuring out when you have them dialed in right for position?

Positioning them takes a bit of effort, at least to get them right. I go with the upwards and towards the front glass approach. If both streams of water collide then you end up with a nice chaotic flow which should swoosh everything everywhere in the tank. I still mess with my powerheads from time to time but they always pretty much end up the same way. lol

You don't want a cyclone going on in the tank but you don't want any food or debris to accumulate anywhere. :)

Back
Top Bottom