Powerhead advice. How much is too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mach

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 90g tank with 4 maxijet 900 powerheads. I was told to buy 4. I am beginning to think that this may be overkill, since it seems like everything is kinda whipping around. Including my sand. I have read that you can never have to much water circulation, but am concerned.
I have a pair of clowns that tend to swim near the glass. Im thinking that the flow of the powerheads keeps them from swimming towards the center of tank. What should I do? How should I aim them? Should I get rid of 1? or 2?

Thanks,
Anthony

You might try placing two on each side of the tank pointing into the middle of the aquarium. Make one side point to the front and one side point to the back or something like that. It will create a turbid area in the center that the fish will either love or hate. If that doesn't work out well try two on each side of the tank one at top one at bottom and face the directly into each other. Try moving them closer together to achieve a good flow. I don't think you have too much flow IMO, just might need to tweak it. Might invest in a wavemaker to random it up a bit.

in my 90 i have about 2600 gpr going thru it !! and want more heheheh like things moving :) imo 4 900 maxis are not enough !

Im supprised you have stuff wipping around with only those 4 maxijet 900's. The stuff thats wipping around must be directly in the jet streams path. Postion two in the back corners of the tank blowing toward the front center. THen postiion the other two in the back blowing toward the back middle. Each should be placed so it provides a good surface disturbance.

Get a few more and place them so they are blowing toward eachother but toward the middle of the front and then have a few blowing diretly across the tank.

About the only way to have to much water flow would be to do something like 50 X the volume of the tank in current.

We want random currents in the tank not a direct stream of water.

Fishfreek. That is exactly how I repositioned them. I also have the return from my sump directly in the middle of my tank. So all the currents converge on eachother. The flow seems to be much better. Before I had pretty much just a laminar flow. I think I have sufficient flow. Perhaps add one more just to blow behind the rocks.

I also have the return from my sump directly in the middle of my tank

Oh. You didnt mention that. I was going under the impression that you only had 4 powerhead for total water movement.

The key is to see how your water current is flowing and if you have some dead spots or areas that you feel are lacking in current then add another PH to compensate or try a slight adjustment in your existing PH's position.

Back
Top Bottom