Powerhead Cyclone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JuanArti

Aquarium Advice Activist
About a week ago I added two Koralia Evo 1050 and ever since then there's been little particles floating around in my tank. What's going on? I believe it's sand. I really hate this because it makes my tank look ugly. I have a 55 gallon tank. Are these powerheads to strong?

But I've had them for a couple days. I'd think that by now all of the crud from the rocks should've settled. I see like a mini sand hurricane under one of my power heads..

But I've had them for a couple days. I'd think that by now all of the crud from the rocks should've settled. I see like a mini sand hurricane under one of my power heads..

Mine did that until i aimed them up a bit A wave maker might make a difference as only one will be on at a time

Just try different angles of the power heads, or if necessary different positions of the powerheads themselves.
And yes, a wavemaker would help this situation too, IMO. If you are getting a mini cyclone under the powerhead, this is partly due to the fact that you are getting one non-random flow pattern. The other aspect could be that it is too close to your substrate.
Just keep trying different combinations of powerhead angles, you should be able to minimize the sandstorm.

I initially had this issue w/ my 55. Positioning is the key. Once you get it figured out itll all settle. In my 55, i have 2 750s, a 1050, a 550, and a marineland that is equal to a 1050. Just fiddle with them some and point them at the surface. Youll find the sweet spot.

Back
Top Bottom