Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-09-2005, 11:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
Just hit up ebay, i'm getting my powerheads from there and they are less than half price, new as well.

midol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 12:44 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
Maxi jets are fully-submersible. I don't think the venturi air injection works when it's too deep, but you don't want to use that anyway. They let out a lot of flow for their size, as long as their intakes don't get clogged with junk. Most importantly, Maxi-jets are known for their reliability - a lot of other brands just don't last. You're correct - they're not adjustable flow - mini-jets are adjustable, I believe, but they don't get as high as say a Maxi 1200.

20x can be too much for some coral species. You can position your PH's and live rock to create the right combinations of light and flow in different spots to best grow different coral, but if you're planning on having lots of species that prefer low-moderate flow, then yes, 20x is too much. Also, even many hi-flow species won't enjoy being right in front of the blast of a big powerhead - more important is lots of turbulent flow hitting them in random directions.

75 gal SeaClear System II wet/dry filter
4 Harlequin Rasbora
3 Clown Loach
2 Pearl Gourami (m/f)
2 Siamese Algae Eaters
Physa and Malaysian Trumpet snails
Biotoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:04 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Originally Posted by bj5z25
well today i went to my lfs and i was told that maxi jets are not great because of how much flow they let out and because of their inability to be fully submerged. He told me that 20x the gallonage in my aquarium per hour was a lot of flow and would disrupt my coral. Do you have any suggestions on ph that are fully submergable and have an adjustable flow rate? TIA
Your person at the lfs obviously is a greenhorn when it comes to PH's since maxijets are the STANDARD to which all others compare themselves to. They can be fully submerged, and depending on what corals (and what kind of tank) you get 20 x is not too much water flow. Corals that want less water flow can be placed in an area that doesn't have as much water flow. I wouldn't worry about an adjustable flow, get the maxijets... You won't be sorry.
Mike Jones
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:46 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
I wouldn't think 2 is too much. Your profile says you have three leathers. Leathers like flow IMO. Some with SPS even have upwards of 4. I have about 15X in my 90 gal and it could use a little more. Think of it like this. If our tanks had flow like in the shallow reefs, we couldn't keep the water in it.

saltwatersmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 11:31 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thank you that really helped. Also i have some "Devil's Plague Anemones" growing in my tank which is really bad so im on a quest to eliminate all of them.
My tanks-
newly set up 75 gal SW, 30 lbs of fiji lr, 30lbs of lace rock, 90 lbs of course/fine argonite sand, rena canister filter, 48" 4x65 watt pc, red sea turbo berlin skimmer.
Inhabitants- 2 percula clown fish, 1 muchroom coral, 2 leather corals, and 2 mystery corals.
bj5z25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 11:53 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Try this. http://joesjuice.com/
There is a link for you to locate retailers in your area. Good luck.

Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote

gph, powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com