powerhead gph question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, you'd like to have about 20x flow in a 46 gal tank. I'm going to say the Mag 7 will give you 450gph...maybe...depending on how restrictive your plumbing is. So, you want another 500-600gph. It isn't recommended to use Mag Drive pumps externally although they will work that way. The front cover is kinda fragile and they don't have the best seal either. None of this matters when you're using them submersed. They also add heat to the system because their motors are water cooled. This is why I recommended an external pump with a fan cooled motor. External pumps will usually last a long, long time. A Blueline 30HD will give you 510gph @ 4'...an Iwaki WMD or MD30RLT will give you about 510gph @ 4'...a Little Giant 2-MDQX should pump about 600gph @ 3"...and a Velocity T-2 about 600 gph @ 4' head. These are just some examples. You'll want a suction line from the main tank (with a strainer) to feed the pump. The line from the pump will go to the SQWD, split, and go either end of the tank. The SQWD will alternate the flow back and forth between the outlets. This will be separate from your overflow/sump system. This will cost a little more than the powerhead/wavestrip combo, but it will be a better system. HTH.

I see now thank you. You both have been very patient with me and I greatly appreciate that. I understand what needs to be done now. Again I thank you this is my first saltwater tank and I really want to get it done the best I can. You are helping me do that thank you very much.

i hear it reduces it drastically... i have a mag drive 7 laying around and am contemplating using this or my spare catalina 2200, which i believe is rated 800gph at 0ft. how much do you think the mag drive would put out using the squid?

Back
Top Bottom