Powerhead in a 29??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Auden

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a Coralife HQI setup for my 29 and I'm planning on doing a SPS tank. I have a Surge pump that's pumping about 300-400 gph, do I need another powerhead?

I know that my gph is good, but would I need a powerhead to deliver more water flow to my SPS corals? If so, which powerhead would be appropriate? TIA.

12X overturn is good... if you want a reef setup, I would recommend up to 15X. Instead of packing another huge PH in there, you could go with a smaller Maxi-Jet. Also consider a SCWD unit that would switch between two outlets, so that you can have random currents (something that his HIGHLY beneficial to a reef setup). Do you have a sump?

I would get another one. 29g is a taller tank and you need most output to get water moving vertically down throughout the tank. My 15g tall tank was not happy until I had 2 MaxiJet 600s (150gph each) and a Maxijet 400 (100gph). That is 400 gph in a 15g tank, not including the skimmer... I am planning to pickup a Wavemaker soon, but then I would probably want Maxi Jet 900s :eek:

I do indeed have a sump, but does that affect my need for flow in my big tank? Thanks for your incredibly quick responses guys, I'm going to go down to my LFS and buy a SCWD unit. I'll post some photos at one point or another.

Get another powerhead, or two. For an SPS tank flo is very important. You may even consider some type of wave maker device.

if you use your return flow pointed in the right direction where you would want it to go, i suppose that would cut down some on needing a PH, or at least a bigger one.. id def. get another maxi :)

as for my tank i think wth my maxi 900 and my return pump its going to have pretty high turn over, tho i might get another maxi soon just for more current and direction, not really for the gph rate

Back
Top Bottom