Powerhead Operation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmaglione

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wanted to see what everyone recommends for levels of operating a powerhead in marine tanks. I have a 1500 Powerhead and only a small 55Gallon tank. I have turned it down so it isnt too much for the fish or inverts. I have heard its best to have these things on a timer which i am going to do, so that it mimics more of the oceanic waves vs having constant water flow. How does everyone attack this ? Constant, timed, how long is it timed etc.?

SEIO Super Flow Pump M1500 (1500 Gallon Per Hour). I know its overkill, i got it so i'll be all set when i upgrade tanks, but its throttled down so the fish dont mind it. Just wondering, keep it on all day or what?

The wave makers are basically power strips with timers switching different sockets on and off in 1-2 minute intervals (sometimes faster). The general rule of thumb is that your pumps should be pumping 10-30 times your current water volume so with a 55 gal the heads should be pushing 550-1650 gph depending on the live stock in the tank.

Best bet is to get 2 PH's and point them at each other and towards the surface to agitate the water. As the timer switches them on and off it simulates the push/pull of the ocean. In my setup I have two Hydor Koralia 3 PH's rated for 850gph each and my fish love swimming with the alternating currents, I also use the third timed socket to point a maxijet900 to flow behind my rockwork to eliminate dead zones.

Depending on what kind of corals you have or plan on getting, that's not too much flow and in fact 1 powerhead is usally not a good way to create random flow. It's best to have 2 on opposite sides of the tank and point them at each other.

Also, those are not meant to be run on a regular wavemaker or timer. Constant on/off will destroy them. They are made to run on a Seio Controller.

Okay great thanks guys, I'll need to purchase an additional powerhead. So is it only the SEIO that is sensitive to timed circuits? Is there a model / brand that is safe to switch on and off with the timers?

Most power heads aren't meant to be used on wave makers. My LFS however, has had 2 Koralias on a controller for over 2 years without issue. Their are many companies which have a controllable version of their power heads. They are often more expensive though.

+1 for the MJs (MaxiJets) though I found that a MJ1200 in a bare bottom 30 is too much flow (bicolor pseudochromis kept getting stuck to the intake screen).

Back
Top Bottom