powerhead placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just purchased a new hydor koralia evolution 1050. I already have a 750. My tank it a hex front 35 or 36 gallon. My rockscape is in the center of the tank. Ive been reading up on currents and placement and don't know if I have my the best way or not. I tried drawing up a pic with my phone of how I have it now. I tried my best!LOL. The arrows indicate the powerheads, the purple is my rock scape, the black circle is my heater, and the black squares are my Skimmer, fuge, & power filter. (All HOB and in that order from left to right.) Pic is top view illustration. Ant advice very much appreciated!

PicsArt_1347548723855.jpg

Looks ok. Have you tried both facing upwards towards the glass? One on each side, one closer to the front glad then the other but both facing the glass on an angle almost hitting each others stream. Make sense?

You'd be surprised at what movement you can get when the current from both power heads collide in the center of the tank.

I'm no expert but this lay out I used until I upgraded to the mp10.

Yea I see what your saying. I'm gonna tinker with then when I get home but the way I have it its more less making swirling water around the tank.

paul87 said:
Yea I see what your saying. I'm gonna tinker with then when I get home but the way I have it its more less making swirling water around the tank.

Yeah I gotcha. What I did was tinkered with them and when I thought I had a good spot I'd through some food in and see exactly where the flow was going. The way I had it flow actually got behind all my rock and you saw the food just getting tossed around so I was happy.

Good luck and lemme know what worked out for ya.

You might consider alternating them with a cheap power strip with a wave maker feature built in. They like having the flow alternate as it does on the reef.

How with timers in both? I really didn't want to put them on a wavemaker I hear its not good on the powerheads to be cut on and off alot. I just wanting the random circulation not the surge even though I know surge is best.

paul87 said:
How with timers in both? I really didn't want to put them on a wavemaker I hear its not good on the powerheads to be cut on and off alot. I just wanting the random circulation not the surge even though I know surge is best.

I had Koralia's on a Hydor smartwave and it clicks everytime they turn on and off. It will drive you nuts and it wears the power heads life span down. It's not the best IMO.

That's what I figure. Not to mention I don't have the money for one.

I just gotta find a way to make the flows intersect and keep my sand in place and have circulation. Throughout my tank. Front back and in the rocks.

paul87 said:
I just gotta find a way to make the flows intersect and keep my sand in place and have circulation. Throughout my tank. Front back and in the rocks.

Give my suggestion a shot, you may be surprised.

Then again I can be totally off.

Curious to see.

I use a cheap (under $50) power strip that has three timed outlets off of EBay for my frag tanks. I hear no click and have been using it for years. IMO it doesn't wear out the fans.

That's a great idea and I will remember it. Sounds alot cheaper than the hydor wavemaker I seen are the LFS. I think I have them where I want them now. I somewhat used your approach convict and I felt the current with my hand from each powerhead and the brush right into each other and the front and back still has decent movement. Thanks. No sand is moving and all my corals are in good standing. The least flow is right up front on each side kinda. I moved my ducan there and it slowly waves around and has plenty room to grow. I think I am good to go!

paul87 said:
That's a great idea and I will remember it. Sounds alot cheaper than the hydor wavemaker I seen are the LFS. I think I have them where I want them now. I somewhat used your approach convict and I felt the current with my hand from each powerhead and the brush right into each other and the front and back still has decent movement. Thanks. No sand is moving and all my corals are in good standing. The least flow is right up front on each side kinda. I moved my ducan there and it slowly waves around and has plenty room to grow. I think I am good to go!

I got hydor wave maker on amazon 50 bucks. I don't personally hear and click and mine change every 15 or 30 min.

1217602663_qjTkM-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom