Powerhead Placement Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just bought another maxi jet 1200 powerhead yesterday. Each powerhead produces about 1200 or 1300 gph. Forgot the exact. Anyways, I placed both powerheads on the opposite side of my 55 gallon facing upward. The one on the far right is towards the back facing up and the powerhead on the far left is towards the front facing up. My sand is constantly being flown around with the current. Could anyone help me with the proper placement to avoid sand flying everywhere?

any time there is a new flow area in the tank it will move sand until it settles where it needs to. I actually get a bare spot occasionally.

The PHs should be on opposite sides of the tank facing one another. At least that is my impression

I was just givin advice. As I am just purchasing my first two hydor pumps.. I was told to run one at a time on timer.. It will make current in both directions and fish n corals will enjoy it.. I bought a hydor 2 plug timer you can run both at same time.. Run them a few ours individual. Or slow them down at feeding time.. But as for placement I'm not sure yet myself. One to the back and one to the front? I know if you have a deep sand bed you want to try not to disturb the sand as much as possible.

Before I got mp's I had those Ph. My advice would b point them toward each other nd the coliding flows wil create random flow whixh is better for corals. This will have high flow on top nd random slower flow down low.

Based on a response in another thread you are still having issues. The problem is your power heads are too big for your tank. You should be using the 600 or even 400. not the 1200. You may need more power heads but you will have better results. If you can try taking the 1200's back and exchange them.

Dav3 said:
Based on a response in another thread you are still having issues. The problem is your power heads are too big for your tank. You should be using the 600 or even 400. not the 1200. You may need more power heads but you will have better results. If you can try taking the 1200's back and exchange them.

Wouldn't adding more smaller powerheads instead of using a big one still the same concept? I don't know how some people with my tank size have like mp40s with x50 my flow but their sand still doesn't fly everywhere?

You want the total system flow but you can't have it all come from one source. Or two in your case.

Edit: hurricane force flow in one spot or more gentle flow everywhere?

Agreed. I have 2 750s and one 550 hydor in my 55 gallon, plus the return line from my sump. Good gentle flow everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom