Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2004, 08:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Powerhead placement advice (w/pic)

I would like to get some better circulation in my FOWLR 125 Gal tank. My pump returning water is a bit small so it doesn't aid in the circulation as much as i'd like. Currently i have the 2 returns and 3 powerheads (see the pic for their locations. I am adding a Hagen 802 and would like to know the best placement for my powerheads to keep the fish and keep remove some dead spots.

Any thoughts as to where to add the new Powerhead, or how i could rearrange the current setup to incorporate my new one.

The current setup is circled in red.
Thanks in advance!
Jim

Old 10-27-2004, 11:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

good lookin scaping

30lbs base rock
6lbs Brazilian LR
35lbs sand (20lbs of lfs ls i think it cycled my tank faster)

3 blueleg hermits
4 turbo snails
royal gramma
gold stripped maroon clown
crage34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 12:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks! I would have liked to add a bit more LR in the center. Perhaps down the road.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
what size are your Powerheads? how much water do you have flowing in your tank so far?
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 08:04 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSeason
what size are your Powerheads? how much water do you have flowing in your tank so far?
3 PH's are maxijet 900's (around 300 GPH i think each) and the returns i'm not sur of, other than to say not too much (unfortunately). I'm replacing the pump later for a larger one, but still would like some extra current.

Wondering if i should direct some at the bottom in front of the rocks and some "disturbing the surface".

Thanks,
JIm
Old 10-28-2004, 10:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would replace them with stronger ones. maxi jet 1200's should be good. then use one 900 to agitate the surface to help increase gas exchange..

as far as placement goes, It looks pretty good from here. Perhaps point them more toward the middle. other than that, it looks good.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 10-28-2004, 11:12 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

sorry for the off topic comment, rocket season, did you get that lunar eclipse shot last night? just curious if i have a fellow astrophotographer on the board

steve r
Old 10-28-2004, 11:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I did. I am a bit of a space nut. But I have no good camera equipment so my photos suffer from lack of clarity or quality.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
maxi 900's are 230 gph, fyi.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pic, powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com