Powerhead placement advice (w/pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesR

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to get some better circulation in my FOWLR 125 Gal tank. My pump returning water is a bit small so it doesn't aid in the circulation as much as i'd like. Currently i have the 2 returns and 3 powerheads (see the pic for their locations. I am adding a Hagen 802 and would like to know the best placement for my powerheads to keep the fish :D and keep remove some dead spots.

Any thoughts as to where to add the new Powerhead, or how i could rearrange the current setup to incorporate my new one.

The current setup is circled in red.
Thanks in advance!
Jim

img_265720_0_89f796e4a5ec58c78a3bdeb3bf8ef7ab.jpg

RocketSeason said:
what size are your Powerheads? how much water do you have flowing in your tank so far?

3 PH's are maxijet 900's (around 300 GPH i think each) and the returns i'm not sur of, other than to say not too much (unfortunately). I'm replacing the pump later for a larger one, but still would like some extra current.

Wondering if i should direct some at the bottom in front of the rocks and some "disturbing the surface".

Thanks,
JIm

I would replace them with stronger ones. maxi jet 1200's should be good. then use one 900 to agitate the surface to help increase gas exchange..

as far as placement goes, It looks pretty good from here. Perhaps point them more toward the middle. other than that, it looks good.

sorry for the off topic comment, rocket season, did you get that lunar eclipse shot last night? just curious if i have a fellow astrophotographer on the board

steve r

Yeah I did. I am a bit of a space nut. But I have no good camera equipment so my photos suffer from lack of clarity or quality.

Back
Top Bottom