Powerhead placement on 20g setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrvincent

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I recently bought a 20g setup, and I don't know where to put my powerhead.

This is what I did, but my clownfish don't seems to like it, they alway need to swim to stay in place, even if it is the night. I plan to have some corals.
633128Sanstitre.jpg

That's a 600GPH powerhead.

Maybe something like that would be better ? I really have No ideas on how to place it...
305410Sanstitre2.jpg

I have a single powerhead

A 600gph powerhead is too big for a 20 gal. Go with two smaller 300gph powerheads.

But at now I can only deal with this 600 gph powerhead... How should I position it ?

Will my second image be better than the first ?

the 600 will cause a rip current
you be better off with 2 smaller 300 one on side wall pointed to opposite side
and one on back wall pointed to the front wall on opposite side
this will break up the rip current

You could try putting it on the back wall aiming at the front of the tank. The water hitting the front will break up the flow a lot.

You could try putting it on the back wall aiming at the front of the tank. The water hitting the front will break up the flow a lot.

This would be worse than the ends if there is a sand bed.

Your best option would be to just aim the powerhead directly at the rock to hope it gets diffused some. Aim for the highest rock so you don't get sand blowing everywhere. You're basically running an outboard motor in a kiddie pool. It's just too much flow from one source in such a small tank.

This would be worse than the ends if there is a sand bed.

Your best option would be to just aim the powerhead directly at the rock to hope it gets diffused some. Aim for the highest rock so you don't get sand blowing everywhere. You're basically running an outboard motor in a kiddie pool. It's just too much flow from one source in such a small tank.

That would depend on the type of sand bed. If there is Sugar sand in the tank then yes, it would be problematic. Larger grades than that though don't get blown around anywhere near as much.

That's very small sand, it move easyly with the powerhead.

What about if I put the powerhead the most at bottom and the middle of the side glass aiming the rear glass pointing on top... Hmmm sorry I have bad english and it's hard to tell what I mean, so here another paint picture:
895394Sanstitre3.png

I mean the fan is on the middle of the wall but the lower possible near sand, and propelling the water on the rear glass toward up direction... Do you understand what I mean or it's too unclear ?

I know it would be great to have dual 300 gph, but I can't have a refund for my koralia pump... I didn't keep the box and the manuals...

When I'll be back at home, I'll try what I said on the third picture, and try what 54seaweed said, at top aimed at mid glass.

I'll give you news

Putting it on the back pane of glass is still by far the better option of breaking up the flow imho. How about splitting the rock formation up into 2 piles and placing the powerhead between them on the back glass angled upwards. It should effectively split the direct flow in half and by angling the powerhead up you negate the issue of blowing sand around.

Will be hard to make two pile of rock... Not enough room
809683DSC04574.jpg

Maybe put it in a back corner aiming front corner of the other side ?

I mean, like this ?
132815Sanstitre4.png

Will be hard to make two pile of rock... Not enough room

Maybe put it in a back corner aiming front corner of the other side ?

I mean, like this ?
132815Sanstitre4.png

I know exactly what youre dealing with. My tank is the same size :)

You are really going to have to keep trying. Flow is one of the hardest things about getting a reef tank going. I would suggest picking 7 or 8 possible spots and trying them all. You could try a piece of yarn tied to a dowel to check how fast the water is flowing and adjust.

Just with suspended particles I can see how the water is flowing. Dah I have no more money to put in this tank, can't get a refund for my pump... My tank size is 24"x12"x16".

Will two powerhead like this work well ?
http://www.amazon.ca/Hydor-Koralia-...TF8&qid=1387484107&sr=1-21&keywords=powerhead They are 240GPH.

I have enough money to afford this twice. I can put my actual powerhead in a box and wait 4-5 years before I use it with a 90 gallon tank...

My first reef experience is bad :( But could be worse, I know.

The guy at the LFS doesn't stop to tell me it's normal, and 600GPH is what I need... But I don't think it's normal that a clownfish go in front of the pump and get propeled at the other side of the tank...

Thanks guys for the advices, I didn't stopped to call the guy at the LFS, he's tired about me calling him, and he told me he can order two 240 GPH and take my 600 GPH back. =D

Perseverance pays !

Something like that will work ?
605949Sanstitre5.png

Very nice! I actually have the same powerheads in my 20g :) I keep one of mine near the back on the wide angled towards the front center of the tank while my other one is on the top front of the other side pane blowing across to the other side. It works well for my rock work.

So you're telling me you're doing this ?
224162Sanstitre6.png

The guy told me if I buy the Hydor kit Koralia Reef Kit 240 he'll exchange my 600GPH.

So I'll be in business, I'll have a two 240 GPH, with a wave controller. What could be best hein ? Will cost 100$ more, but I'm ready to assume this supplement expense.

I'll try to position thoses when I'll get them and if I have trouble, I think I'll find anwsers on google, most tutorials are made for two pumps kit.

Thanks a lot for your advices !

UPDATE: I'm not satisfied with any settings I can make with my 600 GPH, so now I just bought 2x240GPH koralia. I'll use my 600 GPH to mix salt and water.

How would you place it ? I plan on moving rock too... Making a wall on the back window or making a pile on one side...

Try to figure out a happy placement for your rock then the powerhead placement comes after that.

Back
Top Bottom