Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2004, 12:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Powerhead / Pump Question -- for easier water changes...

This isn't really a saltwater question but I know that you saltwater guys deal with pumps, powerheads, sumps, skimmers, etc quite a bit so I thought I could get a pretty good answer here. To be fair, I do keep a salt tank at work, but this is a question for my home (fresh) tank.

Anyway, when I do water changes on my 65 gallon tank, I fill a 5 gallon bucket (with RO water) then I lift the bucket and dump it into the tank.

I was wondering what size pump (or powerhead) I would need to just pump the water from the bucket into the tank. It's a 65 gallon tank and the water would probably have to rise 5 feet or so. Also, does anyone know where I could find one at a reasonable price?

Thanks

Old 01-21-2004, 12:21 PM   #2
cj10488

A good cheap pump would be a Rio2100 or a mag7.. Both will give you about 300-400gph at that head.. and would work nicely.. Rios are known for not starting back up too well however if using it for a waterchange pump it wouldnt be bad.. IMO i would go with the Mag7 from Captivereefs.com pretty inexpensive and very reliable..

HTH<
James
Old 01-21-2004, 12:36 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
That would be my suggestion as well. Either a Mag 5 or a Mag 7 with the 7 being the preferred choice. These pumps are have a threaded outlet so you can get a plastic hose barb from Home Depot and just hook your vinyl hose right to it. The Mag 7 will give you 480gph @ 4' and the 5 will do 310gph @ 4'.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:12 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I was wondering what size pump (or powerhead) I would need to just pump the water from the bucket into the tank.
I use a hagen 802 to do just what your describing, there is no need for the pump to be huge. You could probably also use a MJ 1200.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 08:18 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
but this is a question for my home (fresh) tank.
Just thought of this, instead of a bucket and pump, why not a python (or lees) waterchanger. It's one hose, comes in 25' and 50' with a gravel vac on the end, it hooks to your kitchen or bathroom sink with a waterbed drain attatchment, you siphon out the junk, flip a swith and it starts filling the tank. Squirt some dechlorinator in before the water starts to fill and your all set. This also has the advantage of being able to match your temp via the cold and hot water controls on your faucet.

This wouldn't be practical if your using RO water or some "special" water, but if your using tap water, it's a whole lot better than the bucket and pump.

Old 01-21-2004, 10:22 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I use a maxijet 1200

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 06:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Aztlan
What size tubing do I need to get for a Maxijet 1200? To pump water into the tank.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:55 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Either 1/2 or 5/8s.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:33 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Inside diamater

If your having problems putting the hose on the end then heat up the end of the hose with a lighter or something (dont burn the plastic).

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 03:22 PM   #10
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
I think a Maxijet 1200 will do very nicely. Very inexpensive and reliable as all hell. When I was setting up my tank, this was what I used to fill up. 8)

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powerhead, pump, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com