Powerhead / Pump Question -- for easier water changes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spoon

Aquarium Advice Regular
This isn't really a saltwater question but I know that you saltwater guys deal with pumps, powerheads, sumps, skimmers, etc quite a bit so I thought I could get a pretty good answer here. To be fair, I do keep a salt tank at work, but this is a question for my home (fresh) tank.

Anyway, when I do water changes on my 65 gallon tank, I fill a 5 gallon bucket (with RO water) then I lift the bucket and dump it into the tank.

I was wondering what size pump (or powerhead) I would need to just pump the water from the bucket into the tank. It's a 65 gallon tank and the water would probably have to rise 5 feet or so. Also, does anyone know where I could find one at a reasonable price?

Thanks

A good cheap pump would be a Rio2100 or a mag7.. Both will give you about 300-400gph at that head.. and would work nicely.. Rios are known for not starting back up too well however if using it for a waterchange pump it wouldnt be bad.. IMO i would go with the Mag7 from Captivereefs.com pretty inexpensive and very reliable..

HTH<
James

That would be my suggestion as well. Either a Mag 5 or a Mag 7 with the 7 being the preferred choice. These pumps are have a threaded outlet so you can get a plastic hose barb from Home Depot and just hook your vinyl hose right to it. The Mag 7 will give you 480gph @ 4' and the 5 will do 310gph @ 4'.

I was wondering what size pump (or powerhead) I would need to just pump the water from the bucket into the tank.

I use a hagen 802 to do just what your describing, there is no need for the pump to be huge. You could probably also use a MJ 1200.

but this is a question for my home (fresh) tank.

Just thought of this, instead of a bucket and pump, why not a python (or lees) waterchanger. It's one hose, comes in 25' and 50' with a gravel vac on the end, it hooks to your kitchen or bathroom sink with a waterbed drain attatchment, you siphon out the junk, flip a swith and it starts filling the tank. Squirt some dechlorinator in before the water starts to fill and your all set. This also has the advantage of being able to match your temp via the cold and hot water controls on your faucet.

This wouldn't be practical if your using RO water or some "special" water, but if your using tap water, it's a whole lot better than the bucket and pump.

Inside diamater

If your having problems putting the hose on the end then heat up the end of the hose with a lighter or something (dont burn the plastic).

I think a Maxijet 1200 will do very nicely. Very inexpensive and reliable as all hell. When I was setting up my tank, this was what I used to fill up. 8)

heat up the end of the hose with a lighter or something (dont burn the plastic).

Hot or boiling water works well, just dunk it in a glass of cool water before you try to work with it, so it isn't so hot it burns you.

Back
Top Bottom