powerhead ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhaynes01

Aquarium Advice Freak
my cousin has a 40 gallon gallon tank, corner tank.

What type of power head will she neeed and how many?

also she wants a tang but i am not sure that is big enough for a tang?
also wants clown(s)

Assuming this is a reef tank, I'd go with two Maxi Jet 900's or 1200's. 40 gal really isn't large enough for a tang of any kind. Clowns would do fine in there though.

i'd go with two powersweep 214 powerheads, very effiecient and what i use in my tank, also it would a squeeze to have a tang in your tank, but i think you could do it, if you get it small and later when it get big sell it back to the LFS, just stay away from the bigger tangs

40 gallons is to small for a tang. You don't want to get it now and sell it when it gets bigger b/c that is very stressful on the fish. I also wouldn't go with powersweeps b/c they tend to get clogged and not move anymore. I would go with what logan said and get thee maxi 900's.

uhh i dotn thnk she is gonna make it into a reef just a FOWLR. but i assume it will be the same, also where to point the two and where to put them in the tank for optimum performance

thank you everyone

I would put the two powerheads in the corners pointing to the front. So that the water from the powerheads cross each other. That is were i would put them.

it gives it a more turbulent current. Much like the reefs and ocean currents. You don't have to do taht you can place them pretty much wherever you want to.

I would start by crossing the ph stream. But I was always curious as to how water flows in corner tanks. I would think that the corners would not get much flow. When you get the ph set up drop a flake of food in the corner and watch the way it moves. If it just stays there, I would adjust the ph to compensate for it.

But Spengler always said "Don't cross the streams... it would be bad." LOL :lol:

(Ghostbusters quote if ya haven't seen it)

Back
Top Bottom