Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2013, 04:11 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

acropora mushroom?

Old 10-11-2013, 04:20 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ricordia mushroom

Old 10-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Like most things in this hobby there is not a hard and fast rule but more of a guideline that people have found success with. I personally don't factor in my return pump because I am under the school of thought that I don't want too much flow going through my refugium. I like the idea of giving my filtration enough time to get out what it can as opposed to forcing water through it. Just what I have found success with.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtlessbill View Post
Like most things in this hobby there is not a hard a fast rule but more of a guideline that people have found success with. I personally don't factor in my return pump because I am under the school of though that I don't want too much flow going through my refugium. I like the idea of giving my filtration enough time to get out what it can as opposed to forcing water through it. Just what I have found success with.
Agreed with shirtlessbill, I work in the pool and spa industry and our goal is to achieve the needed turn over rates while flowing water through the filters as slow as possible. The harder or faster you push water through the filter the less it is going to catch. I do however count the flow rate from the return pump towards your total turn over rate even as minimal as it may be because this is water that is being filtered. Your power heads do account for most of your turnover but keep in mind that this is simply water that is bring moved around the tank( not filtered) for you geeks out there, 6 turns equals 98% dilution. In other words it takes 6 turns to almost completely exchange all the water in the tank but this only really applies to water passing through the filter so using the formula above you can calculate how long it would take your filter exchange all the water in your tank if you know the flow rate of your return pump.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
This may ring true for floss type filters but not for algae. Algae simply needs to be in contact with water to get everything it needs. Fast or slow flow, it's only going to take what it can use.

As for counting the return pump as DT flow, of course you should count it. If it's contributing to the flow inside the DT, then yes, but only after head loss of course.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

If the pump doesn't give a gph measure, can you tell from the volts, hz,, watts and other things that are listed on it? I have no idea what my return pump capacity is, but it appears to be doing fine.

This is all I can find on it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3550939298.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	202106  
Old 10-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

That appears to be a mag18, which is 1800 gph.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I assume that contributes a good bit to the flow formula? All I've got going is that and a koralia 1200 power head in a 75 gallon.

Through my personal thread which is on a similar topic of " flow" right now, I've learned that we are just trying to eliminate any dead spots in the tank. Considering this thread, if I wanted to inhabit any type of marine creature, I need to get the turnover rate up there and keep flow over all areas.

Given current equipment, and using the return in the calculation somehow, what is my turnover rate?

To the OP, don't mean to hijack your thread, just hoping this info helps others too since you were already on the topic
Old 10-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Your turn over rate is 40 per hour which is pretty good but you may want to consider getting a 800 gph power head for the opposing side of the tank just to ensure there's no dead zones
Old 10-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callen View Post
I assume that contributes a good bit to the flow formula? All I've got going is that and a koralia 1200 power head in a 75 gallon.

Through my personal thread which is on a similar topic of " flow" right now, I've learned that we are just trying to eliminate any dead spots in the tank. Considering this thread, if I wanted to inhabit any type of marine creature, I need to get the turnover rate up there and keep flow over all areas.

Given current equipment, and using the return in the calculation somehow, what is my turnover rate?

To the OP, don't mean to hijack your thread, just hoping this info helps others too since you were already on the topic
It depends on how much head loss you are experiencing. Is the sump directly underneath? How many 90's and bends does the return line(s) have?
How far upward does the water have to travel?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com