Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

powerhead strength?

I have a 40b with soft corals and fish. Currently running two 165gph oscillating powerheads. They seem to work, but I have a 800gph on stand by which is a propeller fan type. Would this be better than what I am using?

Old 10-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would for sure try the higher gph powerhead, the ones you have are really really small.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

What I was told (and now am a believer in) is to add the sum total gph together then divide by the size if your tank. This "turn over" rate puts you into tiers: 30x: good for FOWLR, 40x: softies and some LPS/SPS, 50x: LPS/SPS.

My tank for example is a 75 gallon with (2) 1400 gph power heads and I just added a small 425 to help with a slow area. So (2800+425)/75=43.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The recommended turnover rates vary with opinion, but shirtlessbill has the right idea..... with two 165's in a 40, that's only 8.25 turnover, which is not enough. Adding the 800 in there with those will give you just over 28x..... not bad for softies. Since this is a fairly large single pump for a 40, you will probably need to play around with it's placement so you optimize it's flow but not be blasting your corals.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have found a cheap 582gph propeller style on ebay. I believe that will put me at 34x turnover rate. I have a hammer, torch, monipora, and acropora mushroom. The rest are soft corals. I hope that will be enough water flow because the 800gph moves it pretty well, I have it place at the top of my tank.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is just what i was looking for! Do you count the return pump volume in the turnover rate? I don't see it in the examples above, but surely it contributes to the total turnover?!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have about 300gph from my sump, total water is 60g. Display holds 40g sump holds 20g. I have not been counting my return as water movement.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

BTW I was asking a question not making a statement. . I really don't know the answer! Just seems to me the return is causing some movement. But that could be cancelled out by the outflow.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I dont count it because the flow is insignificant.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Depending on the tank the output may be more than insignificant. I have a 1400gph return pump for example. While I dont necessarily count it, I do consider it cause it actually does make my corals sway, even without a powerhead on.

I aim to have the most flow I can without fish struggling or sand blowing around. For me, it kinda works itself out in my head automatically lol. I have 2 1400's in my 90g fowlr for instance with a return of 900gph. That is sufficent for that tank but gives me a good flow pattern. My 125g only has the wp40 running at the moment with the return BUT most of my corals are moving and getting a good flow. I intend on adding a second wp40 to it sometime soon. It all comes down to placement and angles in the end. You also need enough flow so that the sandbed is constantly being swept of matter so you dont have dead spots and stuff doesnt accumulate which can help algae and nitrates mulitiply.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com