powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matt_trace

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi all recently got a new 40g tank it will be fish and corals such as zoas finger leather im just wondering how much gph my powerheads should be pushing in a tank this size thanks in advance
tracey

I would love to know as well if there is some formula

is it something like 4 x TV = DGPH ?

TV = total volume
DGPH = desired gallons per hour

10-20 times .. so 400-800 gph + (includes your sump return if applicable). As always it's a guideline.

hi its 40g long no sump/overflow i have the power head pushing 800gph at the min is this enough or should i supply more?

800 is fine... another one to create more turbulent flow (pointed at each other) would be better.. But at 20 X, that's fine. I assume you also have a HOB or canister that is adding flow too... That flow counts also.

ok thanks i have an ehiem filter system external which creates a little flow maybe i might invest in another ph thanks to all for the help
tracey

With marine tanks, you can rarely go wrong by adding more water flow. If you've ever gone snorkeling in a fringing reef, you'll know what I mean. There is a constant movement of water. While I currently do not maintain any marine tanks, in the days when I did, in a four-foot marine tank, I would typically place a Penguin 1140 powerhead in the back left and right corners, as well as use two Penguin 330 Bio-Wheel filters, one on the back left, and one on the back right. This would provide sufficient water movement for anemones, corals, etc.

Back
Top Bottom