Powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brndfrb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking to get some new powerheads for my 65 gallon reef tank.

Couple questions

How many should i get?

What is a good brand?

Where should i place them in the tank?

I want good powerheads eventually when i get the money a while down the road i am going to purchase a wavemaker. Not for a while though. So please let me know

Thanks
Brandon

brndfrb said:
How many should i get?
Two will most likely be enough depending on what else is moving water, sump pump, HOB, canister etc...

What is a good brand?
2x Maxi Jet 1200's would be the best bet. They will also work fine with a wavemaker application.

Where should i place them in the tank?
Opposite ends of the tank in the corners preferabley. Positioned so the flow converges ("X") in the middle to give random turbulence as well. It also helps to eliminate dead spots.

Cheers
Steve

so Maxi Jets are the best? I want something good but i don't want something that is going to be to powerfull for anything. You know what i mean?

The Maxi's are one of the better PH and as far as reliability, they should not be too strong for a 65 gal tank. One benefit of these PH is they have an adjustable flow so if too strong, you can easily decrease it. Better to buy a stronger PH and reduce the flow rather than a smaller PH that does not do what you need.

Cheers
Steve

I second the Maxi-jets. Out of the several brands I've tried the Maxi's perform the best. One other note, stay away from the powersweeps, they look sweet but don't last more than a few months. Happy powerhead hunting. :)

I have always used smaller powerheads. I have 4 Maxijet 600's in a 55 gallon. I allows me to move them around to prevent any dead spots. I also put them in the rocks to make sure nothing settles under there.

Thanks for the heads-up on the power sweeps jackdp. I was just thinking about trying one out maybe I'll try something else out instead.

Lets just say if you dont buy into all of us maxijet avocates there are two brands you should stay away from.

RIO and Powersweep

I agree maxijet is the way to go. The 1200 is the largest model they make and it will push 295gph at 0' head. They will move you water around quite nicely. Dont be concerned with the idea you have to much flow cause you wont.

Back
Top Bottom