powerheads and pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lukasnca

Aquarium Advice Regular
i'm thinking about cutting down on the number of powerheads that i have. i was thinking about getting a stronger pump (ie 3600 gph pump for my 100g tank) from the sump and using that to circulate my water in place of a few powerheads ... i was thinking of making 2-3 return pipes from the sump ... would this work?

you may be pulling water out of the sump faster then the overflow can put back.
i.e AGA super flow drains a 600 GPH and you are pumping at 3600 GPH.
I would just setup a closed loop system. What are you keeing SPS? that is some pretty serious turnover rate.

agree with cbrguy ya gonna need a huge overflow to make that work !! closed loop would work though

i don't have any sps corals but i just want to get rid of the powerheads.

the closed loop would be hard to do as the tank is up and running. i'm going to play around with it this weekend to see how much i can actually pump. next tank i set up will have a closed loop for sure. :)

A SCWD on a closed loop with a mag 12 would work very nice. As would a Sea Swirl or two with a mag 18 on a closed loop. The most i have ever been able to get the AGA overflowe to flow is 900 GPH and that was with some serious mods!

Back
Top Bottom