Powerheads for a 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kam

Aquarium Advice Activist
What do you guys use and/or have experience with?? I am looking to replace my current (garbage) power heads.

I am looking for something high quality, reasonable price ( I don't mind spending $$ for something that will last). My desire is to use this 55 for about 1 year and then upgrade to something 100+gallons so I'd like something that will work for me now and in the future, if possible.

All options welcome. Thanks in advance.

Most people have recommended Maxijets in here! I am going to run 2 Maxijet 900's in my 29 gallon ... 10 - 20 times your tank capacity is recommended so if you plan on upgrading tanks in the future you want to take that into consideration!

HTH

In my 55 gal, I use two MaxiJet (MJ) 900's and one MJ600 in the middle. Evrything seems fine for 5 months now. I should probably add another MJ600.

I use MJ's as well. I have heard alot of good things about the RIO Seio line of pumps. They have a high output but they don't "blast" corals w/ a stream of water like the MJs. The Seio's stream of water is wider and more gentle supposedly. I'm thinking of ditching two of my MJ 1200s for a Seio 600 on one side of my 55...

Maxijet 1200's get my vote. I use 3 of these and Rio pumps. MJ's require minimal cleaning, and don't decline in performance like I have seen in a lot of powerheads I used in the past.

Mike

MJ's here too. I use them in all three tanks, plus in my RO/DI container and my salt mixing container. No problems at all with them.

I have 2 1200 Maxijets in my 55gal. I highly recommend them...Don't forget to order a couple of extra suction cups, as 1 or 2 may fail after a year or two.

as 1 or 2 may fail after a year or two.

Amen to that. They work great for a while, but once they have been in the water for so long, they lose the ability to stick. I am constantly fixing mine..I know I should just replace the suction cups.. :oops:

Mike

Looks like the Maxijets are winning the popularity vote.

I have also read some good things about the Seio. One thing I dont understand is that many websites state something to the effect of "The SEIO Super Flow cannot be hooked to a wave maker or timer." Can anyone explain why??

Back
Top Bottom