powerheads in general & waterflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We have a 29gal tank. It's got 40lbs LS & 31lbs LR. For water movement we have two Powersweep 214 (with the sponges & plastic on them) & a Magnum 250 HOT (no filter media in it, used just for water movement). The skimmer is a BakPak2R. All the inhabitants seem to be doing well (two scooter blennies, two perc clowns, two cleaner shrimp, green brittle star, approx 10 various snails, approx 5-8 blue legged hermits, a feather duster, pipe organ coral & tan/yellow leather which are both on top of the LR). We have pics of our tank here Salt4us Photo Album

My questions are, do I have TOO much water flow? We were thinking of taking out the magnum, centering the skimmer & mounting the powerheads on the sides of the tank.
Also, on the powerheads, would it be advisable to leave the sponges on or would it be safe to run the powerheads with the plastic guard only?

Thanks again!!

Edited by reefrunner to make the link work and remove the slider bar :)

Aren't you "New2salt"?

Anyway, too much water flow?? Depends...are your inhabitants happy? Are you able to offer spots of lower flow as well as high flow? I don't think you have too much flow, just make certain that the ph's and the magnum are diffused. The idea is to create flow and current, not turbulence. If the waterflow is such that it is preventing the corals from opening, then it is too much, but I doubt that is happening. I have close to 35X flow in my 20L and I am able to keep corals that appreciate very low flow. It's all in the way it is deployed :wink:

Thanks Reeferunner for the advice. I'll see how the flow is & see if there's some areas w/ low flow rates.

My wife and I use New2Salt at home. When I'm at work and I need to post/ask a question, I use this log in (Salt4Us). I hope it's OK. If not, I'll won't use this name or delete it & just do it from home.

Thanks again for the help & advise!

John

It's not a problem. I thought maybe you had decided you didn't want to be known as "new" anymore...hehehe. You can login under the same screen name from home and work, I've even been logged in on 2 different internet connections at the same time. As far as that goes...we'll work it however you want to.

Back
Top Bottom