Pre-mixing water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How long is it safe to keep pre-mixed tap water (no RO/DI yet - treating with Prime) in a sealed container before using? No aeration, no heat, no light. Just sitting in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. Not neccessarily a perfectly sealed bucket, but a fairly tight-fitting lid.

I've got some free time on my hands and thought I'd mix some up ahead of time, but don't want it to go bad if I don't use it.

From what I understand it has a long shelf life.
Be sure to re-heat and aerate it before use of course.

You may run into Ph probelms with no gas exchange. It is best to mix up SW and use it within a few days. If you keep it longer, just make sure you aggitate it well and that the Ph and temp are the same as your mainbefore adding it.

I have kept SW for months with no issues. I do have a power head in the tub keeping it moving. I would think water just sitting there may go stagnant.

With agitation - that means uncovered., right? .. I have a large dog (St. Bernard) in the house who sheds like mad, so leaving water uncovered it out of the question. His hair gets everywhere.

Two days covered sound safe? Of course, with some time agitation it with a powerhead before using?

I have mine covered with a power head in it... I use a garbage can.. You can cut a small notch in the top for the cord to go through. You need flow in the water..

Water flow is the key. Even sealed tight gross stuff will grow in it and foul it up with no agitation. I would guess a couple of weeks would be fine, longer than that, I have not tried.

Back
Top Bottom