predator tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James0264

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon tank with two triggers, dogface puffer and a yellow tang. I would like to add some coral to the tank. Any suggestions?

With the two triggers I don't think there is any coral that will survive. You could try small frags of zoas or soft things but my guess is they will tear it up. Also, what kid of lighting do you have? Would also be tricky keeping nitrates down with those big bio fish in there...

Nvm what kind of triggers they are. The dogface can get up to or over 12" in length, wouldnt put them in anything smaller than a 150-180 six footer tank

Nvm what kind of triggers they are. The dogface can get up to or over 12" in length, wouldnt put them in anything smaller than a 150-180 six footer tank

I am in agreement, however the puffer isn't the only problem in the tank. Every fish currently in there needs a 6' long tank or more. Try taking a look at Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums for what size tank fish need. They are quite accurate on their tank sizes.

If you are dead set on keeping your fish, it's likely that not many corals will be able to go in there depending on the type of triggers.

regardless of what they should be in, they ARE in a 75 gallon. Yeah they wil need to be rehomed but the OP may have plans in the future for that. I'm just curious how "reef safe" his triggers are and I'm obsessed with them as well. If he has blue jaws then he could put coral in there even though they will inevitably outgrow the 75.

Tkey3425 said:
regardless of what they should be in, they ARE in a 75 gallon. Yeah they wil need to be rehomed but the OP may have plans in the future for that. I'm just curious how "reef safe" his triggers are and I'm obsessed with them as well. If he has blue jaws then he could put coral in there even though they will inevitably outgrow the 75.

Although you are correct about the triggers, im just informing the OP... Wouldnt be the first hobbyist to buy a fish on misleading info

Although you are correct about the triggers, im just informing the OP... Wouldnt be the first hobbyist to buy a fish on misleading info

very true. i don't personally know of any triggers that will thrive in a 75. I've never kept a puffer before so i'm not too keen on their requirements.

The two triggers that I have are a huma huma and a clown trigger. They are both about three inches in length . I have had the huma huma for over seven years. Tank size is 48 x 18. I have LED lighting.

puffer / and most triggers
NOT REEF SAFE

don't even try placing corals in that tank
or they all gonna become meal

The two triggers that I have are a huma huma and a clown trigger. They are both about three inches in length . I have had the huma huma for over seven years. Tank size is 48 x 18. I have LED lighting.
neither are reef safe at all. That clown trigger will get to 20" so you might want to plan on rehomimg it. Also it's THE most aggressive trigger so with time your tank will become his battlegrounds.

All four fish will need to be removed at some point in their life to prevent stress and possible death. None are "capable" of living to their fullest in a tank that size. All of those fish are recommended to be in much larger tanks but its ultimately your choice. Just expect a real estate war in the tank eventually. Especially between the clown trigger and the rest if the tank. The dogface might be able to hold its own if it's much bigger but then you're pushing his happiness in that size aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom