predator tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michellej

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
okay I think I know what I would like to do with my 125gal. I have a 75 non aggressive tank that I am eventually going to add reefs into. So I figure on the 125 I want to do something different, I am leaning towards the predators. Something like triggers, lionfish, etc. What ideas do you have?

Triggers, Lions, smaller groupers, puffers, eels.....not all of course and some are not compatable, but there are a few ideas to get your research started..

definately look into triggers...i like the more "peaceful" ones like the niger and the pinktail...they have a better reputation for gettign along and not lashing out and killing the tank lol...also tangs are great....i personally recommend the Foxface rabbitfish huge algae eater...gets along with everything and is poisonous so thats cool...i hand feed mine i would never be afraid of it they have great personalities...i personally dont liek wrasses because they will eat your whole cleaner crew....eels are great you will get attached to it...

do you think it would be okay to add 2 snowflake eels in a 125 gal? And what have you heard or experienced with the clown triggers, could I possibly put one of them with a naso tang? I still have not yet added any live stock to my tank. I really dont want to regret anything later. Also will the eels eat hermit crabs,starfish, or any thing of the sort. And if they will eat them what would you recommend for a clean up crew?

clown triggers are known to have EVIL temperaments. 2 snowflake eels would be ok...but you won't see much of them as they tend to hide most of the time.

have you heard if the humu triggers are EVIL as well? I like the humus and clowns I just need to know which one would be the best for my tank.

picasso triggers are also on the nasty side. A more peaceful choice would be a niger trigger.

Humus are def more peaceful then clowns. As far as snowflakes you may not see the entire eel all the time, but most of the time mine has his head out of the rock "checking things out" Come feeding time, he is all over, both him and my puffers will eat right from my hand.

If you do decide to add the clown trigger I would def add him last and watch him for a few days to see what happens. Like people I think fish tend to have different aggresion levels, and you may get a mean one, or a not so mean one. If there are problems be prepared to move your rock around, mix up the tank, so there are no territories preset.

Have fun

ok snowflakes are great!!!!!!!!!! I have had 1 for almost 1 year and is awesome!!!! :D :lol: :!: a few problems though they are escape artists period. ok i have a story to share one day i was watching tv then i left the room and my sister entered it barely by the time i had reached the bottom of the stairs when my runs out of the room screaming help help the eel is out of the tank.... then we saved it to make a long story short! now almost everyday after feeding time he goes into the skimmer to chase the food that got sucked in, but luckily he hasnt kind figured out how to get out. . . . . or hes so smart that he figured out how not to commit suicide. . . . anyway they r a great fish
by the way about the cleaner crew all i have is a plastic starfish that my mom insisted we put in the tankit still lives :lol:

Clown triggers have a tendency to get nasty in smaller tanks they need large tanks, Niger is OK but can have an attitude. The more docile triggers are Pinktail, any Xanthichthys such as Crosshatch, Blue Throat or Sargassum.

Kaye

i am currently looking at anglerfish (or frogfish as they are also known) very pretty looking and very cool. they only get to about 4 inches, but its another predator to add in :)

Back
Top Bottom