Predator tank...Ideas welcome.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been debating if i should use my extra 58gal oceanic tank for a predator tank. Its not drilled for overflow or anything I thought of just using HOB filters on it. I would have to buy rock sand and filters. I have a 125gal tank setup as a reef and other reef fish and was pondering the idea of a predator tank and have never done one yet. Just thought i would get some advice from you guys on how i should set it up. Im thinking of getting:

1. Eel, not sure what kind yet
2. Dwarf Zebra lionfish or Zolitron
3. Scorpionfish

What you guys think of that lineup for the tank? Would it work? Do i have to run a protein skimmer on the tank? or would the HOB filters be enough and just do water changes weekly? Is that too many fish will those get along?

gooyferret said:
1. Eel, not sure what kind yet

Not a huge number of choices for a 58 gallon. Perhaps a snowflake.

2. Dwarf Zebra lionfish or Zolitron

'Zolitron'? Do you mean 'Volitan'? A volitan lion will get far too large for a 58...go with a dwarf....D. biocellatus are really funky and unusual.

3. Scorpionfish

That covers a lot of fish...any particular species in mind?

Do i have to run a protein skimmer on the tank?

I would.

Mantis clubber never heard of it....Do you have a link for it? I was thinking a snowflake eel actually and leaf scorpionfish, and a dwarf lion. How much do i have to worry about the eel trying to get outta the tank?

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_1...ategory=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

I think its probablly the coolest species only critter. I like it even more than my anemone species only. You can watch it for hours, and its so smart that if you train it to accept snails with tongs it will come out and play with the tongs even when you don't have a snail. Mine took about 4 weeks to "Get to know me" after that it would come out to the front of the tank if I was sitting close enough to it. Not to mention that they are beautiful and of course 100% lethal LoL (they strike with roughly the force of a .22 cal bullet, and can easily split your finger with little effort) some people will say they can break out of a tank, however Captain Chuck has never so much as taken a swing at the glass. The first time you toss it a snail and it punches through the shell and starts to feed you'll be hooked. But, thats just my opinion. Since they are the scourge of the reef tank community most people don't warm up to them so well. Anyhow im rambling, if you can't tell I love mantis shrimp hehe

http://www.willifam.com/images/ReefPage/Mantis1.JPG
http://www.willifam.com/images/ReefPage/BigSmile-digging.jpg

What kind of other fish can you have in a tank with a mantis? I dont understand why you would want just a shrimp in the tank.....but whatever makes you happy. 8O It does sound interesting but i was thinking more of an octopus tank...or maybe a eel and other fish.

Back
Top Bottom