Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-10-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
nessaathena0822's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 61
Pregnant clown?

Attachment 303650Attachment 303651Attachment 303652 these are bad pictures but I don't know how to attach a video? You can see her belly much better there.
She seems to be spending a lot of time behind my largest rock and her belly looks a bit chubby. She's nipping a bit at my male and is significantly larger than him. Male is about 1.75"-2" and female is definitely 3".
She's also eating off the rocks (well both my male and female are) so I think they might be making room for some eggs?
My only problem is that I can't take that rock out to put in the quarantine tank if they do have babies because it's keeping three other rocks in place.
Any suggestions? And if someone knows how to attach a video that would be helpful
__________________

__________________
nessaathena0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,357
Doesn't sound like clown nesting to me. You'd see the area being prepped some, like moving shells and rocks.
__________________

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
nessaathena0822's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Doesn't sound like clown nesting to me. You'd see the area being prepped some, like moving shells and rocks.


Okay hopefully you're right. Her belly just looks a bit more pronounced but is otherwise very healthy. I will update if I see any of the activity you're describing! Thank you (:
__________________
nessaathena0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
Macro Addict
Community Moderator
 
54seaweed's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,351
if your not looking to raise them I wouldn't be to concerned about moving them ,
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
nessaathena0822's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
if your not looking to raise them I wouldn't be to concerned about moving them ,


I'm not opposed to raising them! Just need advice if they do decide to spawn (:
__________________
nessaathena0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,357
Raising clown fry is pretty taxing. One would have a tank with nothing in it but pvc elbows and a hob filter. You'd need to be able to make your own live foods for the fry to eat as well.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
nessaathena0822's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Raising clown fry is pretty taxing. One would have a tank with nothing in it but pvc elbows and a hob filter. You'd need to be able to make your own live foods for the fry to eat as well.


That does sound expensive but I'll update if anything does happen!
__________________
nessaathena0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Bray84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 513
If not going raise the fry I'd leave them to it and they're laid when ready. Mine been spawning for just over a year now and if upset them when doing wc they stop laying for few weeks.
__________________
Bray84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:23 PM   #9
Macro Addict
Community Moderator
 
54seaweed's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by nessaathena0822 View Post
That does sound expensive but I'll update if anything does happen!
it's not too bad if you can find a good deal on either a used tank or buck a gal sale but that prob wouldn't start till mid nov that would be a bit far out.

my clowns lay eggs around this time every year I just leave them be. let nature do it's thing some of the fry may survive if they hide in the crevices of the rocks .

last year I found 2 survivors brought them to the reef shop I deal with , but most just become food , if I wanted since I know the time they usually spawn
I could put them in another tank like a month ahead of time if I wanted to save the fry , you can easily get overwhelmed with tanks all over the place than maintaining them .

like hank said the hardest part is raising live food . I used to raise pods , rotifers , mysiss shrimp . and brine shrimp .

it took many attempts to successfully get things going , you wouldn't have time to get it up and running for this round of fry anyhow .

I used a 20 long divided into sections that tank had a constant rank odor .
than I moved it down to the garage were it got neglected . so I gave up on them . pods and rotifers seem to thrive in green murky stagnant water that stinks big time . the mysiss like a steady current brine seem to do good in just a very mild current a bubblier with a sponge seems to work best. yes a lot of work ,
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
nessaathena0822's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
it's not too bad if you can find a good deal on either a used tank or buck a gal sale but that prob wouldn't start till mid nov that would be a bit far out.

my clowns lay eggs around this time every year I just leave them be. let nature do it's thing some of the fry may survive if they hide in the crevices of the rocks .

last year I found 2 survivors brought them to the reef shop I deal with , but most just become food , if I wanted since I know the time they usually spawn
I could put them in another tank like a month ahead of time if I wanted to save the fry , you can easily get overwhelmed with tanks all over the place than maintaining them .

like hank said the hardest part is raising live food . I used to raise pods , rotifers , mysiss shrimp . and brine shrimp .

it took many attempts to successfully get things going , you wouldn't have time to get it up and running for this round of fry anyhow .

I used a 20 long divided into sections that tank had a constant rank odor .
than I moved it down to the garage were it got neglected . so I gave up on them . pods and rotifers seem to thrive in green murky stagnant water that stinks big time . the mysiss like a steady current brine seem to do good in just a very mild current a bubblier with a sponge seems to work best. yes a lot of work ,


Oh jee that does sound like a handful!
Maybe Iíll wait until I get a bigger house to start raising any sort of fry, I donít have the space for everything you mentioned
__________________

__________________
nessaathena0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clown, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this fish pregnant in my Chad ta is this fish pregnant in my tank Ernie reese Cichlid Discussion 0 11-07-2015 11:11 AM
My tomato clown looks pregnant Galwaydellboy Saltwater Reef Aquaria 2 07-30-2011 10:02 PM
Pregnant clown? seafan Saltwater Reef Aquaria 3 08-03-2005 12:58 AM
Clown Fish pregnant..what do i do? gizmo Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 05-18-2004 02:13 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.