Pregnant clown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessaathena0822

Aquarium Advice Activist
View attachment 303650View attachment 303651View attachment 303652 these are bad pictures but I don't know how to attach a video? You can see her belly much better there.
She seems to be spending a lot of time behind my largest rock and her belly looks a bit chubby. She's nipping a bit at my male and is significantly larger than him. Male is about 1.75"-2" and female is definitely 3".
She's also eating off the rocks (well both my male and female are) so I think they might be making room for some eggs?
My only problem is that I can't take that rock out to put in the quarantine tank if they do have babies because it's keeping three other rocks in place.
Any suggestions? And if someone knows how to attach a video that would be helpful [emoji28]

Doesn't sound like clown nesting to me. You'd see the area being prepped some, like moving shells and rocks.

Okay hopefully you're right. Her belly just looks a bit more pronounced but is otherwise very healthy. I will update if I see any of the activity you're describing! Thank you :)

Raising clown fry is pretty taxing. One would have a tank with nothing in it but pvc elbows and a hob filter. You'd need to be able to make your own live foods for the fry to eat as well.

Raising clown fry is pretty taxing. One would have a tank with nothing in it but pvc elbows and a hob filter. You'd need to be able to make your own live foods for the fry to eat as well.

That does sound expensive but I'll update if anything does happen!

If not going raise the fry I'd leave them to it and they're laid when ready. Mine been spawning for just over a year now and if upset them when doing wc they stop laying for few weeks.

That does sound expensive but I'll update if anything does happen!

it's not too bad if you can find a good deal on either a used tank or buck a gal sale but that prob wouldn't start till mid nov that would be a bit far out.

my clowns lay eggs around this time every year I just leave them be. let nature do it's thing some of the fry may survive if they hide in the crevices of the rocks .

last year I found 2 survivors brought them to the reef shop I deal with , but most just become food , if I wanted since I know the time they usually spawn
I could put them in another tank like a month ahead of time if I wanted to save the fry , you can easily get overwhelmed with tanks all over the place than maintaining them .

like hank said the hardest part is raising live food . I used to raise pods , rotifers , mysiss shrimp . and brine shrimp .

it took many attempts to successfully get things going , you wouldn't have time to get it up and running for this round of fry anyhow .

I used a 20 long divided into sections that tank had a constant rank odor .
than I moved it down to the garage were it got neglected . so I gave up on them . pods and rotifers seem to thrive in green murky stagnant water that stinks big time . the mysiss like a steady current brine seem to do good in just a very mild current a bubblier with a sponge seems to work best. yes a lot of work ,

it's not too bad if you can find a good deal on either a used tank or buck a gal sale but that prob wouldn't start till mid nov that would be a bit far out.

my clowns lay eggs around this time every year I just leave them be. let nature do it's thing some of the fry may survive if they hide in the crevices of the rocks .

last year I found 2 survivors brought them to the reef shop I deal with , but most just become food , if I wanted since I know the time they usually spawn
I could put them in another tank like a month ahead of time if I wanted to save the fry , you can easily get overwhelmed with tanks all over the place than maintaining them .

like hank said the hardest part is raising live food . I used to raise pods , rotifers , mysiss shrimp . and brine shrimp .

it took many attempts to successfully get things going , you wouldn't have time to get it up and running for this round of fry anyhow .

I used a 20 long divided into sections that tank had a constant rank odor .
than I moved it down to the garage were it got neglected . so I gave up on them . pods and rotifers seem to thrive in green murky stagnant water that stinks big time . the mysiss like a steady current brine seem to do good in just a very mild current a bubblier with a sponge seems to work best. yes a lot of work ,

Oh jee that does sound like a handful!
Maybe I’ll wait until I get a bigger house to start raising any sort of fry, I don’t have the space for everything you mentioned

its a fun experience but a lot of time is involved you may get lucky one or 2 my find a nook to hide never know , what other fish are in your tank if the clowns are all you got leave them be . than trade them in for something you want .

its a fun experience but a lot of time is involved you may get lucky one or 2 my find a nook to hide never know , what other fish are in your tank if the clowns are all you got leave them be . than trade them in for something you want .

Well I have a helfrichi firefish and a bangaii cardinal, a cleaner shrimp and some peppermints. I love all my animals in my tank, they all swim freely around eachother and I’ve never had an issue

I had 2 bangi's they have that mean look but are so mellow and look like a angel . I liked them more than the pj cardinals .

I had 2 bangi's they have that mean look but are so mellow and look like a angel . I liked them more than the pj cardinals .

Yes my Bruce is so mellow and wonderful, plus they look way cooler than pj’s in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom