Pregnant Peppermint...experience needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChazYork

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so i had an obvious mated pair of peppermint shrimps and the other day i noticed that one was missing and the other is sporting yellow eggs under her belly. I figured that this doesnt happen very often so i'm going to try my hardest to hatch a couple of these little buggers.

I have her in a small quarantine right now until she drops the eggs or they hatch, am i correct at doing this? Does anyone have experience with shrimp breeding? I really cant find anything about this topic unless im not searching for the right thing.

How long is the gestation period? TIA

It is very difficult to raise shrimp to adult hood. It takes some specialized equipment and alot of live phytoplankton and rotifers.

how long before the shrimp drops the eggs? should they be removed? more info needed please..

yeah one of my Skunk Cleaners has a tail full of eggs also. They is no way I can get them out though. I just figured its a different type of food for my fish. I am not expecting any to make it.

There is really nothing you can do to raise the shrimp yourself. They are so delicate that even bumping into the aquarium wall will kill them.

I had some that were with eggs almost all the time. At hatching time, the shrimp would make a run up to the inlet tube from the sump and scatter all the little shrimp in the current, scattering the babies all thru the tank. Very fascinating to watch. I can't remember how long it takes for them to hatch, sorry.
Daryl

so is it worth a try to save any of them? i've taken a liking to her and her eggs so i'm trying to help her raise a family :) any other help would be greatly appreciated!

It would be a waste. It seems there is always at least one shrimp carrying eggs in my tank. It can be done but would require a whole new setup just for the shrimp and considerable money obtaining food for them.

Back
Top Bottom