Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ChazYork
Pregnant Peppermint...experience needed!

Ok so i had an obvious mated pair of peppermint shrimps and the other day i noticed that one was missing and the other is sporting yellow eggs under her belly. I figured that this doesnt happen very often so i'm going to try my hardest to hatch a couple of these little buggers.

I have her in a small quarantine right now until she drops the eggs or they hatch, am i correct at doing this? Does anyone have experience with shrimp breeding? I really cant find anything about this topic unless im not searching for the right thing.

How long is the gestation period? TIA

55g reef, 75lbs LR, 60lbs of base rock from hirocks.com, small hippo tang, paired clowns, 3 green chromis, 1 yellowtail damsel, 3 peppermint shrimp, 1 pistol shrimp, various assortment of snails and hermits, polyps, purple ribbon gorgonian, pulsing xenia, yellow button polyps
ChazYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is very difficult to raise shrimp to adult hood. It takes some specialized equipment and alot of live phytoplankton and rotifers.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

how long before the shrimp drops the eggs? should they be removed? more info needed please..
55g reef, 75lbs LR, 60lbs of base rock from hirocks.com, small hippo tang, paired clowns, 3 green chromis, 1 yellowtail damsel, 3 peppermint shrimp, 1 pistol shrimp, various assortment of snails and hermits, polyps, purple ribbon gorgonian, pulsing xenia, yellow button polyps
Old 01-19-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

They will likely hatch and provide some yummy treats for your fish. This is one of the reasons I used to keep two pepp's
Old 01-19-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah one of my Skunk Cleaners has a tail full of eggs also. They is no way I can get them out though. I just figured its a different type of food for my fish. I am not expecting any to make it.
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
There is really nothing you can do to raise the shrimp yourself. They are so delicate that even bumping into the aquarium wall will kill them.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to darylva
I had some that were with eggs almost all the time. At hatching time, the shrimp would make a run up to the inlet tube from the sump and scatter all the little shrimp in the current, scattering the babies all thru the tank. Very fascinating to watch. I can't remember how long it takes for them to hatch, sorry.
Daryl
Old 01-19-2006, 11:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

so is it worth a try to save any of them? i've taken a liking to her and her eggs so i'm trying to help her raise a family any other help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-19-2006, 11:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

It would be a waste. It seems there is always at least one shrimp carrying eggs in my tank. It can be done but would require a whole new setup just for the shrimp and considerable money obtaining food for them.

Tags
pepper, peppermint, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com