Pregnant seahorse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My male seahorse was having contractions about 5 days ago but has not had any others since. Now he is acting lazy and not really swimming around. Is he ok, and should he have his babies soon because he has been carrying them for at least 2 or 3 weeks?

Also, do u have any advice for the reidi seahorses. Currently, i have an in tank net breeder that i plan on raising them in until i realize that some have chances of living. Also, i have ordered rotifers and copepods, and already have frozen rotifers and Instant Baby Brine shrimp by Ocean Nutrition. Is there anything else i am missinG? and any other advice on raising them would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Blake

I believe the reidi are one of the more difficult species to bring up.

Gestation period of 15-18 days
typical brood size around 300
babies will remain pelagic for 2-3 weeks

You will need a kreisel in order to bring them up and they need near perfect water quality. Got this from "breeder's guide to marine aquarium fishes" by Matthew Wittenrich. If you want to make a serious attempt at raising them i would suggest you get a book and start doing a lot of reading because it can be a real challenge.

Back
Top Bottom