Pregnant Teen?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealFF

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry for the tittle hehe, i just wanted some immediate help.

I have 2 false (or true im not sure) percula clowns. Both of them are about 1 in or alil more in length. The smaller clown has a big big belly. It's been like that for a few days. It is having a hard time to swim too. It seems like the clown can't keep itself from floating up to the surface. It is not gasping for air tho. It always tries to swim down but can't. What's wrong with it? Is it pregnant? Or is it overfed? I feed them a few times a day lately b/c i have nothing to do during spring break but to watch them really :?

Thanks for any help :)

Hopefully it's not this :

"Common Name:
Dropsy, bloat
Scientific Name:
none
Organism:
bacterial/viral/nutritional/metabolic/genetic
Signs: Fishes so affected often have a swollen belly, and scales may stick out at 90 degree angles from the body, giving the fish the appearance of a pinecone. A red vent and ulceration's may also be present, as may long, pale fecal casts. Fluid may accumulate within the body cavity.

Occurrence: Since dropsy may be caused by one or more factors, it is difficult to point to one common cause.

Treatment: Once the first signs of dropsy are noted, the infected fish should be started on a 14 day regime of antibacterial medicated food. A 24 hour bath in 2 PPM nitrofurazone is also indicated. If you can bring the fish to a vet, you may wish to administer ceftazidime at 30 mg/kg IM for three treatments, each two days apart. Since this is a rather expensive treatment, it is usually reserved for larger and more expensive fish. If it is a bacterial problem, this should clear it up. At the same time, an examination of the fishes environment should be made. How is the water quality? Is the diet adequate for this species, and is it being fed a variety of fresh foods? If after 14 days this condition does not reverse itself, you have to consider that the problem is either viral, metabolic, or genetic, none of which are treatable. In some cases, the kidneys of the fish may simply shut down, causing an accumulation of fluids. The best thing to do here is to painlessly euthanize the fish. The best way to do this is to place it into a small container of water, and place that in your freezer. The fish will painlessly "go to sleep" as the temperature drops, and all body processes will stop."

That`s a good possibility but in reference to your statement about feeding few times a day because you dont have nothing else to do, will be the end of your tank. Feeding fish requires a discipline to make sure to do the right thing all the time. This is what your tank and occupants need.

Back
Top Bottom