premiere clam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

makana

Aquarium Advice Activist
i got my first Tridacna clam last week. i believe it is a T. crocea (LFS didnt know and ive been trying to id since) but it may very well be a T. squamosa. either way, the pigment of the zooxanthellae seems quite brownish, so it is a deeper water clam i believe. is this true?
i like that because i do not run MH for my reef. i have almost 5 wpg and my tank is quite shallow - 18" but with a 3" DSB, so 15" with DSB.
the clam seems to be doin well. i have some Tetraselmis sp. cultures and i can tell the clam enjoys the daily addition of live phyto greatly.
pics to come soon...(i know i say that alot but i have no cam... when i can borrow one i will post pics :) )

makana said:
either way, the pigment of the zooxanthellae seems quite brownish, so it is a deeper water clam i believe. is this true?
It could very well be a Derasa if just color was an indicator but color is not a good means of identifying the clam. If it had previously been kept under improper lighting it could simpley be the result of excess zooxanthellae production. The best means of identification is the shell.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/jf/feature/index.htm

Cheers
Steve

THANKS STEVE!!!!! :D
its definately a derasa. the incurrent syphon's larger-than-crocea tentacles gave me the idea it is not a crocea, as the lfs thought. and then the size of the byssal opening is much smaller than the crocea's - this is a dead giveaway that it is NOT a crocea.
i looked at others byssal opening sizes and shapes plus their tentacle size (if present :)) and i deducted it is most likely a T. derasa. i am almost positive based on the info in that link.
once again THANKS steve!

the lfs had a bunch of baby maximas. i couldnt resist seein as how i am one of only a dozen or less reefers that i know of in my tiny town i figured theyre better off in my tank than in someones with no live phyto. they look healthy. once again, pics to come....

i know i am a meanie...but just think - i wait way longer to see my partner! and then each visit is about 36 hours long :(. she is the one who has the camera so when you see pics it means she visited me. anyway, she just took some pics of the whole tank and didnt take any of the clams up close like i had asked. ill have her post the new tank shots tonight for sure.
sorry for being such a tease :)

does anyone know whats up with culturing zooxanthellae? like actually growing and dosing sybiotic dinoflagellates! woouldnt that be cool! especially for clam keepers and breeders.

It's a very involved and exspensive process with limited results. It's primarily done only in labs and not available commercially. You are better off feeding live phyto, especially if the clam is under 2-3".

Cheers
Steve

thats what ive been told. the derasa has already attatched itself to the rock i placed it on. cool huh?
the maxima has been slowly (once every 2 weeks) moved to a higher location in the rockwork. now it is at its final location after 3 moves and is only 4" from the lightsource! it looks HAPPY (much less :gaped") and the colors are becoming more vivid by the day. i NEEED to get a camera :'(

Derasa's actually do best on the substrate so watch it for signs of stress. Never try moving the clam once it's layed down byssal threads though as it will cause damage.

Cheers
Steve

the derasa is in the substrate but a flat rock is beneath it buried in the sand. its funny ou mention that becuse it did actually accidentally move it slightly and i think its detatched now :(. i hate having a small tank sometimes. i think it will be okay though it looks great...ill keep yall posted.

makana said:
the derasa is in the substrate but a flat rock is beneath it buried in the sand.
This is actually the best method of placement for the Derasa. It helps protect the byssal opening from possible predators. No worries on the small tank. If it's in the 29 gal, it should do well. Just remember to feed live phyto if it's on the smaller side. Personally I prefer Liquidlife bioplankton but DT's is a good choice as well.

Cheers
Steve

steve- ive been culturing my own - Tetraselmis spp., Isochrysis spp, and Nannochloropsis spp. i got starts for my cultures from the local marine lab.
the derasa is ~3" and the maxima is only ~1". the derasa seems fine despite the trauma the other day. the maxima is just hanging out on a rock about 4" from the light sources. they seem happy.

Back
Top Bottom