Preperation of base rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwilk20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I brought home 4 pieces of what used to be live rock. My friend had a reef which he turned into a brackish fish tank. I want to use the rocks for my base foundation.

What is the best way to "disinfect" them? I was thinking of boiling each peace for a while. Or is there a better way? Maybe put them in the oven? How would you guys go about this?

Thanks,

Paul.

well you could soak them in fresh water for a while. This would kill off anything that needed saltwater to live. What exactly are you needing to disinfect?

Well, honestly I don`t know :oops: . I guess my question is this - can I just put them on the bottom of my tank without cleaning the rocks? 2 of the 4 have some green algae. I just don`t want to introduce any junk into my new tank.

Paul.

I pulled the rocks out of his brackish aquarium. So I guess they are/were "live" rocks. The algae was a green live one. It is now dead because I had it out of his tank for about 24 hrs. My tank is not yet setup, won`t be for another month. That is why I want to clean or disinfect them, then they will go on the bottom of my new tank. I plan to purchase about 50 lbs of live rocks to seed my base and the rest of the tank.

Let me see... should I just air dry them for a month? Boil in water? Cook in the oven? Just need to know the most effective way to clean the darn things :x .

Thanks,

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom