Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Price gouging?

All who read this may want to set down. I was at a fish store in Knoxville today to get some more snails and I seen prices that made me pass out almost. The store is called Aquarium. They wanted $5 for nassarious snails, $70-$90 for blue tangs(none over 3 inches in length), powder blues were over $100. I asked if someone had made a pricing mistake and was told that there was no mistake. Another store named The Coral Reef was way cheaper and I personally love that store, (healthy livestock, excellent advice, great prices, can't beat it) It absolutely amazed me that they(Aquarium) would charge this much. I mean this place had a selection that would make people drool with envy, but with prices like that, wow!!!!!!!!!

If I'm not supposed to mention store names, I apologize, but this was just highway robbery.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
is back to save the day!

I think it really all depends on what's going on at the store. I mean.. they have to make their money back somehow right? Either they were getting ripped off by their providers, so they were trying to make their money back.. or they are are just trying to charge more money right off the bat. Either way.. those prices are definitely ridiculous.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

they also have cheaper stuff.. i mean i shop in the aquarium and the coral reef.. they both charge crap loads for certain stuff.. for instance i can get a light that costs 200 at coral reef go two miles away at the aquarium and get it for 160.. its all just according to what you get.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

may i also suggest becoming a vip member at the aquarium? its free and you get coupons via email.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

and i dunno where you saw blue tangs for 70-90 i was also in there yesterday and saw them for 30...
Old 04-22-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

some times a bag comes in bad and they will up the price to make up for the loss. i know this is done on the fw side i am sure its done on the sw side. if they can get people to pay that more power to them. now sure how much those prices are off then normal but i know stores that charge 7-10 for a cherry shrimp which you can get onlienf or 1-1.50.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah and they QT all their fish before they place them to sell. so they was probably runnin low on blue tangs and raised the price until they get the next ones in the tank. and yeah one of my lfs charges 10.99 for glofish when you can go to walmart and get them for 3.. lol
Old 04-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I dont know but those prices are about what we pay here in Richmond Va. Maybe a little but not by much.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

hard to compare walmart prices vs lfs prices since lfs are in the business to make money off their fish and walmart isnt.

qt isnt cheap. wouldnt you rather pay extra for a fish you know that wont be sick or less and take the chance. like i said i dont know what normal price is vs they charge so not sure how much they are "gouging".
Old 04-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Supplier is also a factor. Some are more expensive than say a local breeder.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com