Priorities...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbsoluteFaye

Aquarium Advice Addict
Out of power because of the hurricane... We rigged up a power strip with a powerhead and sump and connected it to the plug inside my car. We are going to run it for 15 or so minutes every 2-3 hours. Really hope this can save our fish. We are stranded at our house because if trees blocking out road. Hope everyone else is safe!

Yeah don't go out there. It's really bad outside. And I Can't go home cause all flights are cancelled :( keep an eye on your temp. Hopefully it won't drop that Low.

Good luck with fish wish you had a battery power backup or a generator is you tank stock expensive keep tank warm wrap with thick blanket

Just just ordered over $200 worth of stock from bluezoo. Hopefully everything will stay alive. We just wrapped the tank in the blanket. Fingers crossed!

Thoughts and prayers are with you all. I'm in South Fl the power being out sucks but it's always warm after the storm I wouldn't like the cold.hang in there.

Shouldn't a fish tank be ok for a few days without power?

The only reason I ask, is because I had a power outage for two days with my freshwater tank, and everything was fine.

Tank should be fine for a few days, keep the tank insulated as best you can. If you can get temp close do a pwc if things spike.

With freshwater the tank can withstand slight changes but in saltwater reef aquariums those slight changes could be very bad to the inhabitants of the tank.

baron1282 said:
Shouldn't a fish tank be ok for a few days without power?

The only reason I ask, is because I had a power outage for two days with my freshwater tank, and everything was fine.

Freshwater would probably be okay, but salt is way more sensitive. I've heard a few hours without water moving is where trouble starts. A FOWLR would probably fare better than a reef, but neither are gonna be happy about it.

Good luck to everyone out in that area that is coping with this mess.

The heater is blowing the fuse in my car everytime I turn it on. We are trying with a heating pad on top of the glass lids under the blankets. The temp is at 72.... All the fish I can see are still alive and the cleaner shrimp is still cleaning everything. He'd probably be the first to go so we might not lose ALL our stock... I'm just a mess over this. I have a newborn too. We have no power water or heat. Ugh. :(

you could red neck it up pull the battery out split the converter you have straight wire it to the battery and plug a power strip in the converter sure its not the best way but it would work

Does anyone know what the lowest possible water temp could be to keep fish and corals alive??? I'm really freaking out and feeling soooo guilty that my tank is slowly dying.

They know how to survive. Just keep doing what your doing. My tanks were in the low 90s this summer if its a slow change they will adapt. You will be surprised at how durable they are when need to be.Hang in there!

Finally just got power back! Keeping lights off for a bit and slowly bringing temp up. Fish look stressed buy hopefully they'll pull through. Corals look like crap. Can't find the bta. Inverts (cleaner shrimp included) are all accounted for and looking good! We will see what happens now. Goodnight!!!

GREAT NEWS! We were luckily spared from the worst of the storm here in mass. Hopefully everthing goes back to normal soon for you.

Back
Top Bottom