Prizm skimmer not working right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sicklidkid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok just to start off, i know the prizm is not that great of a skimmer, but it was all i could afford at the time.
I set it up about a month and a half ago. It hasnt produce anything in the collection cup. And i have an algea film on the surface. So i get the idea its not doing its job.......

Can any one help me out???

THANKS

If you are using the surface attachment, remove it and just use the neck attachment with the strainer cone. It takes alot of tweeking to get the surface attachment to work well.

Check the air injector and make sure there is no dried salt blocking the bottom portion. You will need to dissasemble it to do so. I find it needs a soak in hot water or vinegar every few months. Once you are sure everything is clean and put back together, replace it on the tank/sump, fill the skimmer and then plug it in. Once the water is flowing, open the air valve to full and reduce the water flow to a very low setting. Just enough so the main water level just comes up to the base of the neck. It seems to work best with high air injection and lower water flow. I get quite a bit of dry skimmate.

Cheers
Steve

They don't come with them but you can buy valves pretty cheaply.. or if you arent using the venturi kit for a PH then you can use the valve from that. If like me you've replaced the airline with a much longer tube then you could even tie a knot in it I guess, but the valves are a better option.

Not sure on the base prizm but on the deluxe model, there are two controls. On the inlet pipe the forward knob controls the water flow and the rear knob controls the air.

Cheers
Steve

Yeah I'm guessing he has the basic model, which only has the waterflow control.

What does the longer tube do to help the skimmer. I am going to try using a valve but don't understand what increaseing the length of the tube will do.

Thanks

OK i think you got it a little mixed up, or mabey i do. I think you are thinking of the PRO and i am thinking of the deluxe.

Actually it depends if you mean the Pro Deluxe or the Regular Deluxe.. LOL

The regular one has only the waterflow control and is rectangular.. the pro has both air and waterflow controls and has a slightly different shape.. both come in deluxe models which adds the media basket and surface attachment.

Okay, so are we talk'in Prizm Deluxe or Prism Pro Deluxe ... LOL :?:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom