Prizm skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I put one in my sump for about 4 months and had mixed results. It lost the prime often and now the pump has craped out. On That Pet Place.com they say it can be installed in a sump but Red Sea does not recommend it. A friend of mine has one and is using it as a hang on. I think he likes it. I bought a Sea Clone 100 and am very happy with it. The total volume running through the skimmer is much more. The amount of ugly dirty greenish-brown water is more and I would recommend it over the Prism. Again though, I am using it in a sump. Another post on this site mentioned problems with the Sea Clone returning bubbles to his tank when used as a hang-on.

the prizm is very loud. don't plan on putting it in your room at night. but other than that i think it is alright. if you can afford it go with the cpr bakpak i hear really good things about it. i think you can even get a refurbished one somewhere on the net for cheaper. it would work the same just have a little defect in the acrylic or something minor.

I have found it to be as loud as any other ventrui style skimmer. The noise is caused by the air being injected at the impellers and being mixed with the water. I personally found it to become a little quiter as the skimmer gets some age on it (after a week or two).

You can use it on your sump in a HOB fashon. It should not be put IN the sump as I dont think the PH is sealed.

For the price I think they are one of the best skimmers you can find. WHen you compair them to a skimmer thats over twice its cost then no they are not as good.

I ran this skimmer in my bedroom with no problems. Then I moved and ran the tank in my dinning room with no problems. Now its down on my 80 in my sump. I use it sparingly.

If you have a DIY canopy it can help quite it down some because the noise has to go thru the caonpy to get into the room.

What size tank are you planning to put the prizm on. IMHO I would not use it on a tank larger than 40 gallons. I used one on my 50 gal. reef and it can't compare to the remora pro I have on it now. I currently have the prizm on my 10 gal nano and it works great for that application.

Brian

Actually the mag-drive power head is epoxy sealed and I brought that up to Red Sea and after reading That Fish Place description of use they agreed to replace the pump.

I don't know if That Fish Place changed the info yet but it did say that it could be used "in" the sump and I did not see anything in the instruction book that stated otherwise.

I would still recommend the Sea Clone over it just due to the fact that the skimming process is much more aggressive and the results are visibly better.

i have had the sea clone as well as the prizm and operation wize the sea clone is alot more quiet than the prizm. i am a very light sleeper so for me that prizm was just way to loud. i did have some problems with my sea clone however it kept coming apart from it's seal around the bottom of the skimmer. i had to build a shelf for it to sit on so it wouldn't leak all over the floor.

kribbz said:
the prizm is very loud. don't plan on putting it in your room at night. but other than that i think it is alright. if you can afford it go with the cpr bakpak i hear really good things about it. i think you can even get a refurbished one somewhere on the net for cheaper. it would work the same just have a little defect in the acrylic or something minor.

www.amekaaquatics.com just lowered their 'factor seconds' price on the bakpak to $104, for anybody that cares.... sort of off-topic, sorry.

We use them both at the store and I like the Seaclone better. It seems to do just as good a job and it's easier to clean. If you can afford the extra expense, I'd look at the Aqua Remora skimmers. You can upgrade the regular Remora to a MJ 1200 or the Pro to a Mag 3 which, IMO, would be well worth it.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom