Proactive Stock list for 65G Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Catalina Island is off the coast of California and is surrounded by cool ocean water. The water temperature around the island ranges frm ~64 to ~73 degrees, so unless you are doing a cool water tank, you should forget about this goby.

I agree, thats not a good choice

It's not easy, laws are generally a lot more strict about temperate species then tropical. There is very little comercial support, like pet stores and such are all tropical.

Coldwater marine aquarium Blog

The above link is an old coldwater tank from Norway. There are coldwater reef clubs and such, I know of one in Oregan or Washington. Just not a lot of people doing it.

That's very interesting to say the least. I've made some progress and my tank is actually cycling some water now finally! It's a used tank so I want to do a copper test before putting salt in and what not. I should have live rock and sand in next week sometime if everything goes well.

I'm going to do some more reading up on fish today. I like reading through the Member's builds to see what their stock lists are.

Ok back to Mandarins. The more I read about them the more fascinating they are. It seems like most people don't think they should be kept in aquariums though since they are very hard to feed?

I'm only interested in keeping one. I see it's best to be introduced into a nicely established tank with lots of live rock and pods to chow on. I've been reading up on how to setup my fuge for pods. Does this seem like something that could be feasible?

yes. give your tank a fair amount of time to grow a pod population and you should be able to keep one.
it's not easy to get them to eat prepared foods. some do on occasion, but it's definitely not likely, as far as i have seen.

Thanks, I'll look into it more to make sure it's something I think I can do.

Crud, looks like I can't edit my OP now.

Back to the watchman Goby. what was the reason for not keeping something like that in my tank? Seems like a good candidate according to liveaquria?

Back
Top Bottom