Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-01-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CCXGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 1,090
(Probably) a Stupid Question on Coral Placement

So.

I have a certain plan for my coral stocking in my 10G reef, they are to be very spread out due to fear of corals killing or stinging eachother.

My question is: How do people keep these tiny nano reefs so packed with coral without ill effects?

It seems like in so many of the beautiful tanks I see, many different species are right up against one another.


Now, my plan is to create a Euphyllia Haven on the 'Top Floor' of the tank and a Zoa/Shroom Garden on the bottom.

While I know Euphyllia can withstand each-others stings, I'm still worried about placements.

I mean.. Look at this:



This is just insane, I love it.

This is kinda what I want to have a go at doing.

Thank you for your time.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
CCXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Like corals do not sting each other. Euphyllia doesn't sting Euphyllia, montipora doesn't war with other montipora....
Mushrooms and zoas compete for real estate by simply growing. If taller, larger zoas are placed in close proximity with smaller ones, chances are the larger will overgrow and block the light.
__________________

__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CCXGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Like corals do not sting each other. Euphyllia doesn't sting Euphyllia, montipora doesn't war with other montipora....
Mushrooms and zoas compete for real estate by simply growing. If taller, larger zoas are placed in close proximity with smaller ones, chances are the larger will overgrow and block the light.

A friend of mine keeps his Acans in the shadow of his Monti-cap, I'd say there's about 8" between them.

Aren't Acan sweepers like a foot long?

Should this be a mistake?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
CCXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,117
I think your thinking of galaxea. Acans don't really have big sweepers


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,320
(Probably) a Stupid Question on Coral Placement

As X said cluster the compatible corals together. Almost all SPS corals can be clustered. Most LPS can also be clustered with a few hold outs like torch corals. Zoas easily grow in groves. As do most acans. The softies tend to crowd each other out rather than sting. But there are a few, like galaxea that have very long sweepers and don't seem to like anyone.

That was a good question by the way.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CCXGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
As X said cluster the compatible corals together. Almost all SPS corals can be clustered. Most LPS can also be clustered with a few hold outs like torch corals. Zoas easily grow in groves. As do most acans. The softies tend to crowd each other out rather than sting. But there are a few, like galaxia that have very long sweepers and don't seem to like anyone.

That was a good question by the way.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, thought it would've been idiotic..

You mentioned Torches, are you saying that Torches don't get along with ANY coral? Or that they should be kept with other Euphyllia only?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
CCXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CCXGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
I think your thinking of galaxea. Acans don't really have big sweepers


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh right... My mistake then.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
CCXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,320
(Probably) a Stupid Question on Coral Placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCXGT View Post
Thanks, thought it would've been idiotic..

You mentioned Torches, are you saying that Torches don't get along with ANY coral? Or that they should be kept with other Euphyllia only?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My torches have always formed a "no mans zone" for a few inches around it. Nothing dares growing there, including other LPS varieties.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CCXGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
My torches have always formed a "no mans zone" for a few inches around it. Nothing dares growing there, including other LPS varieties.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hmm... Might just stick to Frogs/Hammers in the case..


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
CCXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,320
Not a bad idea if space is a issue.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coral, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stupid, stupid, stupid... Madame_X Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 16 09-02-2004 12:42 AM
Probably a stupid question OsanGar Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 5 04-01-2004 10:44 PM
Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! (Me, not the fish) QTOFFER Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 01-19-2004 09:33 PM
Probably a really stupid question. but with silicone........ plkdb Saltwater Reef Aquaria 6 09-15-2003 09:25 PM
Probably a stupid question, but does anyone keep sand dollar plkdb Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 6 08-09-2003 01:41 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.