Probaotics, an advanced discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thincat

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, so we don't have to many advance topics here on AA. Well here it goes.
What do you all think about "Probaotics", by this I am refering to carbon dosing and the use of Zeolis.

I don't know anything about it but this sounds familiar. I believe my brother (Jimbo7) might have been reading up on this. I'll flag the thread for him.

"carbon dosing" is such a huge term its hard to cover in one post, I know of rice reactors, vodka dosing, and NP pellets are the big ones right now. Things like Zeovit and brightwell aquatics new system are slightly different. They are based on carbon dosing but require other special blends of amino acids and other magical things that they won't say. Basically zeolites are a natural rock composite that has a perfect mix of carbon and whatever else that the bacteria that consume nitrates and phosphates love.

It has to be a finely tuned ratio no matter which method you choose because the bacteria consume something like 100:16:1 C-N-P and any excess nutrients will cause massive cyano and bacteria blooms. Is there a particular method of carbon dosing you were interested in? I could give you a lot more info on any given one.

My personal opinion is that it's an awesome way to eat up your spare time and make your tank upkeep overcomplicated. It can also crash your tank quicker than quick if not not by-the-book. But we're human and always think the grass is greener on the other side, so there will always be a market for this stuff.

Probably not the input you were looking for, but hey... it was free!

True, but there are those of us who like the challenge. Plus even the greatest tanks of the normal methods can't compete in a lot of areas with the finely tuned zeo and vodka tanks. Coral growth and color are just outstanding, not just in the tops but the entire coral even the inner stem has beautiful color.

Obviously there are exceptions and i'm sure my statement will spark a little controversy, but its just IMO.

I had nothing in mind when I posted this. Just a good topic I was reading about. If no one tried we'd still be fishing.

I'm using NP Bio-pellets which are a solid form of carbon dosing. The days of vodka dosing are over! (IMHO).

cmor have you noticed a change in growth or color since you started carbon dosing? Were you using the vodka method before the bio-pellets?

I never used another form of carbon dosing, vodka or other. The purpose is to drive down NO3. The biopellets do this for me. I am consistently under 5 ppm on my Nitrate test, usually down around 2 - 3.

Now that my phosphates are going down I can start some SPS again. My tank was out of control due to lack of maintenance on my part. You may have noticed my absence from here over the summer. Too much work, and just when I thought I was going to get a break another person leaves and I have to take on a third of his work.

Can't wait to some growing sps under the new LEDs.

Seems like an awful lot of work for something that has the potential to really mess up your tank if you get it wrong. I did some research on it when I was first getting into the hobby as I was looking for ways to reduce my phosphates and nitrates for future reference. It just seemed easier to me to run phosorb in a reactor and run nitrazorb if and when my nitrates ever get above 5 ppm.

That's the good part of solid carbon dosing. The NP BioPellets slowy disolve over time releasing what's needed. You recharge by adding more every every six months or so.

True, but there are those of us who like the challenge. Plus even the greatest tanks of the normal methods can't compete in a lot of areas with the finely tuned zeo and vodka tanks. Coral growth and color are just outstanding, not just in the tops but the entire coral even the inner stem has beautiful color.

Obviously there are exceptions and i'm sure my statement will spark a little controversy, but its just IMO.
That's a pretty bold statement. Good thing you added "IMO" because I'm 100% positive you have no way to prove what you said. :)

That's a Great article and points out what we all know or should know.
You can't beleive everything you read. But it makes for good discussion and sometimes there is some truth in these statements.IMO

That's a pretty bold statement. Good thing you added "IMO" because I'm 100% positive you have no way to prove what you said. :)

ehhh well its all on what people prefer really. like I said, in my opinion it would be really hard to find all natural tanks that competed with dosed or "complicated" tanks. But its what you find beautiful, a huge SPS reef is hard to maintain with vibrant colors with out some form of "advanced" dosing, while a tank full of chalices and LPS will run and look better with slightly "dirtier" water.

I guess I should have clarified I am a SPS nut, and my ideas of a beautiful tank.

Back
Top Bottom