Problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, I don't know if this is going to be a problem or not but I'd thought I'd post it anyways. Today we are merging a 29 and a40 gallon tank.
The problem is we have to tear down the 29 to put the 60 in it's place, therefore putting all that is in the 29 into rubbermaids while we get teh 60 into place.

Our problem: We have aquired 160 lbs of Caribbean Argonite oolitic sized sand, I know according to the directions not to rinse it and to use a bowl to pour the water in and that we need to have it settle for 48 hours, problem is I will need to put the corals in today, will this hurt them? That is my main concern is damaging the corals.

We are finding we are doing this just in time, our toadstool leather is getting so heavy it is leaning on our zoos, we plan on breaking the rock that it and the zoos are on so that when we place the leather it will be easier to find a spot that will be able to help support it's weight.

I look forward to any help, thank you again!!!

Salt4Us said:
Our problem: We have aquired 160 lbs of Caribbean Argonite oolitic sized sand, I know according to the directions not to rinse it and to use a bowl to pour the water in and that we need to have it settle for 48 hours, problem is I will need to put the corals in today, will this hurt them? That is my main concern is damaging the corals.
They will be fine. I have swapped CC for sand in my tanks without removing a thing. Fish and corals should be fine even if there is so much sediment you cannot see in the tank. Just be absolutley sure there is good water flow throughout the tank, brisk surface aggitation and run with carbon and filter floss if possible to clear things faster. Water chemistry will be moreso the problem than the sand particles. Be sure the temp, salinity and ph are matched up as close as possible before returning the fish and corals to the new 60 gal. Use something like a turkey baster to remove accumulated sediment off corals after things settle.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom