Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2004, 12:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Problem with Coralife PC

This is kind of dumb question, but I figured I'd give it a try. I've got a Coralife Power Compact straight pin hood and I'm changing the bulbs for the first time. I was able to remove one of the bulbs fine, but the other bulb will not budge. I don't notice any salt build up or rust on the fixture. Has this ever happened to anyone else and does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can remove that bulb?

Old 11-19-2004, 02:28 PM   #2

Just keep slowly working it; it will eventually pop off. When yu reinstall the bulbs use a little dielectric grease to help stop the rust.

Old 11-19-2004, 02:34 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have not seen or used a coralife fixture but the stright pin PC bulbs that I have used in the past have had endcaps that lock the bulb and to release you angle the bulb in the endcap and then the pins release. Maybe this will help.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was thinking that there might be some kind of lock holding the bulbs in place, but I haven't been able to find anything. And the first bulb came off, but I suppose it's possible that I happened to move it into a position that released the bulb. I will give it a try with the other one. I've been trying to slowly work it out, but it appears as though I'm not making any progress. If I ever get it out I will try using some dielectric grease on the new bulbs. If anyone has any other advice or tips I would greatly appreciate it. Man am I frustrated...
Old 11-21-2004, 01:55 AM   #5

Mo locks on the coralife endcaps. Sometimes the wet environment just makes them stick. You can try prying them, just be careful not to break a pin in the endcap!
Old 11-21-2004, 11:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I tried prying them and fortunately i was able to get the bulb off without breaking anything. Thanks for all the advice.

Tags
coral, coralife

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com