Problem with my skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YellowTang

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a red sea berlin 90 air lift skimmer and i think it's not working well because very few foam is coming out into the cup.

It's placed right like the manufacteur says but how can i get more from it ??

Do I need a stronger pump ?

Anyone with this kind of skimmer ??

You have to make a trail and error for the pump. Try it for a couples of days. If foams are going into the cup very rapidly (maybe a few minutes the cup is half full), means your pump is too strong. Lower the pump. If the foam just could'nt get to the cup after a few days, meaning the pump is operating too softly. The liquid should be quite yellowish to brown. You can also indicate by the colour, normally if the skimmer is working correctly, the DOC collected should not be crystal clear. BTW, I think for the correct level, the foam should be just at the base of the cup or a little above the base of the cup. If you see foam trying to goes into the cup and drop back down towards the tank/sump water, means you got it correctly. The foams should make several attempts before it goes into the cup. :D

Back
Top Bottom