Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2012, 01:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have zoas near my lights and some far, both are doing well. I would check your water parameters before messing with the lighting.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:38 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgarcia View Post
Do zoas do better at a distance ? And yea they were good under the light . I was very sudden it started happening .

Okay, here's the deal: Before changing water, check it to make sure there are no levels that are off. If there are, change water. If there are not, hold off on the water change for now.

As for the lighting, you need to think back to when you changed the bulbs and how soon after you changed them did this start happening? If it happened within say 24-48 hours of the change, it sounds like it could be a lighting issue. New bulbs should be giving off a brighter light and the Zoas obviously don't like it. Under these circumstances I would move them away from the lights.

Check water quality first, lighting second. You'll have your answer in under 30 minutes.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:55 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you. Your great help
Old 03-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I switched from 4 t8s to 8 t5s and my hammer "melted" to half the size. It's doing very well now though.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago with some yellow jackets... everything else I got that week did great... but the yellows just melted away for some unknown reason...a week later I had an $80 frag plug. All parameter were good, LED's etc... Im told sometimes it just happens.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Truth be told.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alink708 View Post
I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago with some yellow jackets... everything else I got that week did great... but the yellows just melted away for some unknown reason...a week later I had an $80 frag plug. All parameter were good, LED's etc... Im told sometimes it just happens.
Truth be told, nothing dies for no reason. Sometimes, we just don't want to or are unable to figure it out. But there was a reason. The object is to do your best to make sure that YOU or what you are doing isn't the reason why something dies.

Just had to point that out

In your post, you said you had an $80 frag plug. What does that mean? Did it die too or you got one and it did fine without doing anything to the water that your yellow jackets died in? Just looking for a clarification.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Truth be told, nothing dies for no reason. Sometimes, we just don't want to or are unable to figure it out. But there was a reason. The object is to do your best to make sure that YOU or what you are doing isn't the reason why something dies.

Just had to point that out

In your post, you said you had an $80 frag plug. What does that mean? Did it die too or you got one and it did fine without doing anything to the water that your yellow jackets died in? Just looking for a clarification.
The yellow Jacket frag cost me $80...so when it completley died a week later all I was left with was the plug....$80 frag plug lol.
I bought several other zoa's and palys that week , all from the same guy. Everything else did fine...each one already has multiple new polyps,pretty fast!! For some reason though the yellow jackets just melted away 1 by 1. I dipped , tried diff flow and positions etc... nothing worked to stop it.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the frag was doomed when you got it. Can't say much more without knowing more.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the frag was doomed when you got it. Can't say much more without knowing more.
Yea I have no clue...I asked the guy I got them from, he has top notch stuff and knows what he's doing. He said out of every 100 frags he gets of new stuff usually 4-6 will melt and he can never figure out why.
Im going to try them again though because they were so cool, waiting on the grow out right now.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's......

Quote:
Originally Posted by alink708 View Post
Yea I have no clue...I asked the guy I got them from, he has top notch stuff and knows what he's doing. He said out of every 100 frags he gets of new stuff usually 4-6 will melt and he can never figure out why.

Sounds like it's stress related to shipping and handling. Sometimes the bags are put in a box in such a way that the plastic or inner wrapping irritates the coral and causes internal damage that results in lose. Nothing you could have done except not buy new arrivals until they have had some time to adjust to the new system their in.
Thanks again for the clarification

Tags
zoas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com